PRO250

is a XE ghia power steer box same as all other XE falcons?

yes, there were slight changes in xe to the steering box internally but they are the same shit, once rebuilt they will have xg upper bearings etc anyway, the xe boxs are a bit nicer box standard though but they just made running improvements to them, they arnt any different cause its a ghia though

note that the hose outlets on the top of the box vary, there are 3 (could be 2, i forget) different types so if your not using the exact box out of the car then double check

if your looking for someone to do it then the club has an affiliation with prestige power steering, paul over there gives us a discount

i know they rebuild the same etc gaz but they have different part numbers on the worm drive, plus i remember reading threw ford documents saying they changed it to offer a better steering feeling etc

ill happily bow to your experiance, your probably touched more boxs (power steering lol) then i touched myself as a 13 year old but ill show you this just incase

worm.jpg

Don't believe everything you read Cav. If anyone anywhwere can tell me there was an actuall difference in XA3524A and XD3524A apart from the material that the spool is made out of, then I'd hang my head in shame. Even the fact that I mentioned XAGT is only because it's well documented, even though I could never "feel" any difference on the test rig.

Orange stripe boxes were right angle outlet.

Nah they're a cunt. They have teflon seals on the worm and on the piston which need streching to fit, and then they have to be compressed before they will fit in their respective bores.  If they're not compressed properly you'll nick the seal and it's game over. And the worm seal is loaded from the inside

Special tools all the way. And the preloads are critical, and the sector gear wears which make correct lash near impossible unless they're reground. Easier and less of a headfuck to buy a changeover. But give it a crack if your confident.

Nah they're a cunt. They have teflon seals on the worm and on the piston which need streching to fit, and then they have to be compressed before they will fit in their respective bores.  If they're not compressed properly you'll nick the seal and it's game over. And the worm seal is loaded from the inside

Special tools all the way. And the preloads are critical, and the sector gear wears which make correct lash near impossible unless they're reground. Easier and less of a headfuck to buy a changeover. But give it a crack if your confident.

arr shit now i dot want to do it LOL

Yes Thom. The only difference in the housing is the lower mounting hole being half a hole out. If you ever see or know anyone wrecking an early Fairlane or Falcon/Fairmont with ram steer, (XR/T/W/Y or ZA/B/C/D) grab the box out of it. It's exactly the same as every other 16:1 with a different pitman arm. And in fact they usually rebuild better because there's been less load on the worm bearings.

That's exactly what I've got, I modified the customline to takd an xe manual box, but it could seriously do with a quicker steering ratio

XA-XE boxes are the same and have a 2.6 turns lock to lock ratio. XF and XG boxes have a slightly quicker turn lock to lock ratio at 2.4 turns. XG boxes are the only boxes to have factory fitted roller-bearing top but runs two metric hard lines and not a crappy hose and clap on the return line like earlier models (far better and far less prone to leaks). XG boxes are the best and XF boxes can easily be converted to XG specs by fitting a roller bearing top but you will retain the standard imperial fitting and hose can clap. The steering ratio of these boxes are sensational and much better than later model e series rack and pinion with ratios at over 3 turns lock to lock. Even a RRS rack for a X series falcon is at 3 turns lock to lock so more of a downgrade if anything. If setup right these P/S boxes are better than a rack and pinion kits.

XA-XE boxes are the same and have a 2.6 turns lock to lock ratio. XF and XG boxes have a slightly quicker turn lock to lock ratio at 2.4 turns. 

(cough cough bullshit)

Cough all you like, i thought the same but i recently changed the box in my XC to a XG one as i'm doing a 4.0l conversion. I calculated the lock to lock ratio of the XC box prior to installing the XG box and the difference in lock to lock ratio was noticeable.

Lock to lock has nothing to do with ratio. Any number of factors can affect lock.

I thought a lot of things too, but having rebuilt aproximately  2000 or more of these boxes by hand, and then probably another 1500 using the original machinery from the Kirby Bishop factory, and in the early years also fitting at least 500 of them in cars, I can state categorically that there is absolutely no difference in ratio whatsoever. But I will also say that your vast experience of changing 1 steering box far outweighs my small amount of knowledge and I humbly defer to your ownership of this non-existant argument.

Perfect. But why don't you just re-modify it to take the XY box? It's only half a hole.

That half a hole means notching the rail, personally I'd rather rebuild a steering box