Mr Polson

XD/XE cluster in XF?

Can it be done?

Straight fit in or mods needed?

I'd assume they have different plugs, but would you just have to cut the plugs out of a XD/E and join the wires to the XF ones?

you wont be able to do just the cluster. it wont fit in the xf mould. you will either need to graft the xde cluster hole into the xf dash, or change whole dash. the xde cluster is bigger then xf cluster. also the levers are different for the lights etc, as the xde have the headlight switch on the bottom right corner of the surround, where the xf has the paddles on the top sides, headlight namely being the top right.

wow, well im out. that would hve taken some work. hve never tried it or heard of someone doing it as they are bigger and thicker then the xf ones. good luck!

And this for the wiring.

No but the wiring colours are like 99% the same, so you just cut the plug off and solder on the next one lining the colours up, make sure you test before you solder and heatshrink but incase somethings not right.

Looks like n00bus painted the needles with model paint, or similar. That adds weight to the needles and makes them read incorrectly.

Having said that, it looks awesome.

Yeah thats my handy work lol, works still to this day, but in the ute now, with the complete XE dash around it so i put it into a spare housing. It wasnt hard at all to do, your right about the dust factor steve, but all it needed was a quick blast with the air gun from under the fuse cover and it was good as gold again. Never had any trouble with the needles, i suspect that its a bit of a wives tale that one. The cluster illumination is about the only drama, as you need to shave it off to get it to fit. I broke mine down and fitted a neat strip of LEDs between the face plate and the gauge faces so it is sort of backlit like the XFs ones are, IE not shining onto the face of the cluster but shines up thru the gap around each gauge. Looks a tonne better and so much brighter.

While your doing homework on it, look into adopting an EB or ED manual cluster into it, ive never looked into it but i was talking to someone and they say the Eb/D cluster fits straight into an XG, so using the XG or even XH fascia cover one could effectively fit a great range of needle sweep clusters into an XF... providing you get the wiring sorted out, the mounting will be the easy part.

I think I prefer the look of an XDE one to an EB/ED one, personally.

XDE looks more old school. Also, not sure how you'd get the fuel gauge to work with an EBD cluster, as they went back to a float type sender, not like the capacitive type on the x series.