matt_lamb_160

0.6 A/R Comp cover GT3582R

The GT35R on XR6T's are 0.50AR I believe, you probably know it already but they are pretty compact and can support 400rwkw.

The BA-BF2 run the GT3582r(3540r) comp wheel: inducer 61.4mm, exducer 82mm (hence the 82 in 3582r)

The FG runs the GT3576R which has a slightly smaller comp wheel.

I'm sure a turbo repair mob would probably have one laying around. People do get comp covers and or wheels upgraded

Both the BA/F and FG run the 0.50AR comp cover it's just the FG would be machined for the smaller (58mm ind, 76mm ex)comp wheel, if you already have the 3582 you would want a BA/F comp cover. The 3582 can make more power, I think Ford went slightly smaller in the FG to improve response. If you wanted to go a bit smaller you would be better off swapping the whole turbo. If you wanted to make your turbo FG spec you would need the comp wheel changed and then have the CHRA balanced as well as the FG comp cover. A lot of mucking around. I'd just try to get my hands on a BA/F cover and leave it at that.

<p>Ok, that sounds better (some how I misunderstood and thought only the FG turbos had the smaller front). I don't really want to swap comp wheels. I need a BA/BF comp cover.<br />

</p>

<p>Thanks for your help.</p>

<p><br />

With the 0.7 A/R cover the compressor side is a bit too big for a 4ltr which sees rpm as low as 1,500 judging by the compressor map, which explains what Ford did. The smaller front will improve low end efficiency, reduce heat and avoid surge better.</p>

<p><br />

When I was looking for a new turbo I wanted something with specs like the FG turbo you have described (I didn't know about them), but with a 0.82 A/R rear and external gate.</p>

<p><br />

I looked at all different brands and all of the ones with suitable fronts had too small a turbine. I went for the Garret as its efficiency made up for the comp being too big.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Should have got an FG turbo and changed the rear.</p>

A bigger exhaust housing will help with surge, Ford used a 1.06ar exhaust housing on the XR6T. My understanding of Compressor surge is where the compressor is flowing more air than the engine can swallow and occurs until the engine can consume this compressed air .A mismatched turbine wheel and compressor can cause this also (large comp wheel small turbine wheel). A larger turbine housing and or turbine wheel slows the spool rate and allows the engine to get into the rev range where it can consume the air. The GT3582r is a great match for the 4L, the 0.82 housing is maybe a size too small for maximum top end power (compared with 1.06ar) but hardly think it would be small enough to be causing surge.

I would have thought the bigger comp cover would help with surge as it's larger internal volume would allow the compressed air to flow away more efficiently. I thought having the smaller comp cover was more to aid low down torque and spool time. Unless there's actually a space requirement for the smaller comp cover, I'd leave it alone. I think you got it pretty much spot on with your choice of turbo.

The FG Turbo uses a smaller comp wheel and higher boost pressure to help achieve a broader torque curve and higher power output than the earlier models. Of course the trade off is that it sacrifices top end power potential.

If it's not a maximum effort, record breaking build then (which by your choice of turbo it's not) the Mike Vine manifold will probably be fine. Remember BA/BF turbos can punch out 400rwkw with the factory cast manifold.