Server maintenance Read more... ×
LJDB

4 barrel carb spacer/air filter combo

So im finally in the process of fitting a 4 barrel to my corty. what is better to run, 1/2 inch carb spacer with 6-3/8 x 2-1/2 air filter that just touches the bonnet or no carb spacer and a larger/taller air filter. anyone played around with spacers/ filter and have real world knowledge that could be of help or even better someone with a corty that has a 4 barrel setup thats already done the hard work.

thanks in advance

Bigger the spacer better they run...bigger the air cleaner better they run.But in your case a double edged sword due to space limitations.So fit a Wilson 2" Wilson or a plain open spacer and a air cleaner base and just a K&N filter top.Works for Jim Korros to run 11.5's with a single 750 on a roller cammed xflow.   

Or run the 1/2" spacer plus a 2" filter & K&N filter top to get the most out of it as these two are "from the real world and work" and "we have already done the hard work for you".

Your welcome BTW :) 

What model cortina? i run 4 barrels on 4 of mine you will not run any spacer and a baby air cleaner if you want it under the bonnet i cut holes as rob said its easy HP if you move the carby away from the manifold

The cortys a TE. Drop base hits also as they are 14"x3 and 14"x2 will hit the choke tower. The filters all hit on the bracing but in different spots. if i try to run the base with k&n lid it might hit the choke tower also as my carb only a street avenger.  

Hard one this one because as Sly said both increase power, more volume with a spacer is what you want but choking it with a small filter defeats the gain. I did some flow testing and a 2in filter chokes a 350 holley so I would go a taller filter out of the 2 choices.

so after afew trips to vpw and the likes i have finally come up found something im happy with. i tried a 14x3 drop base-1/2" spacer, hits bonnet,14x2 drop base with raiser-1/2" spacer hit carb vent tubes filter lid wont seal, 9x2-1/2" spacer very close to bonnet and vent tubes ect. while at  vpw they had a clearance box with different filter sizes and types. found a tapered filter that is 9" at the base, 5-1/4" at the top and 3" tall. this fits with a 1" spacer not sure if it will restrict much air flow but il drive the car tomorrow and see how it goes.

Hey mate I am having the same problem with my TE Cortina I have alloy head crossflow with 4 barrel intake and carb with spacer and cant shut bonnet with air cleaner on. How did your set up work out. Do you mind telling what combo ended up doing the job for you. I wont cut the bonnet.

I cant remember off the top of my head i'll have a look tonight but I think I have a 1" spacer with drop base and extreme filter top. I also cut the bonnet bracing to suit. The spacer seemed to make a big difference to performance so I did what ever possible to fit the largest I could without putting a hole in the bonnet.