Sign in to follow this  
binary-fuel

Good price for Ford XG ball joints

I went into Repco today and got quoted $50 per ball joint upper and lower both sides = $200. He gave me a part number 7510 upper and 7512 lower jbj brand but I haven't been able to find this part online to see if it is good with wear or any information on this ball joint. Has anyone found cheaper ball joints that are not sealed. Sealed is ok if it is cheaper. I want to replace both sides in one hit but just for now I want to replace the screwed ball point to run it to repair places. I do however wish to do the full repair in one hit to avoid having to jack the car up and do another hour of so of work completing the others. 
So has anyone found any cheaper ones for the XG or is this a good prices. 
What is the price different with sealed or greasable, if any.

If XG is the same as XF, its pot luck now (I believe) whether you get greaseable or sealed. I have greaseable in my ute and sealed in my wagon, yet to notice any difference, both are lasting okay.

$50 per ball joint sounds a bit expensive, I done all ball joints and tie rods for only $225 last time.

Try a suspension place for prices, they tend to be better than general parts places, from my experience.

If XG is the same as XF, its pot luck now (I believe) whether you get greaseable or sealed. I have greaseable in my ute and sealed in my wagon, yet to notice any difference, both are lasting okay.

$50 per ball joint sounds a bit expensive, I done all ball joints and tie rods for only $225 last time.

Try a suspension place for prices, they tend to be better than general parts places, from my experience.

I was told that you may request greaseable ones and that you should aim for greased ones because they out last sealed due to  when the sealed ones stops being greased it squeaks which then indicates wearing on the joint (this is what mine has done)

But thanks I was thinking $50 was cheap but yeah I will try a proper place for the parts. Any brand recommended?

For what you have paid that is cheap. My honda civic tie rods cost near $250 and to get the ball joints and tie rods in the kits that's cheap.

TRW are decent, that's what's in my wagon (non greaseable). Ute has Protek, which are greaseable.

I wouldn't say greaseable means longer lasting... Just replaced the factory ball joints/tie rod ends in my Honda (Concerto, very similar to a Civic, cost me $200 for the whole kit of ball joints and tie rods).

The factory ones on that were non greaseable, and the odo reading is 410,000kms.

Best tip I can advise is shop around, get quotes, see if people will beat competitors prices.

Be wary of Falcon tie rods from eBay if they're cheap though, there's a post on here about them actually snapping in half due to a cheap manufacturing process.

TRW are decent, that's what's in my wagon (non greaseable). Ute has Protek, which are greaseable.

I wouldn't say greaseable means longer lasting... Just replaced the factory ball joints/tie rod ends in my Honda (Concerto, very similar to a Civic, cost me $200 for the whole kit of ball joints and tie rods).

The factory ones on that were non greaseable, and the odo reading is 410,000kms.

Best tip I can advise is shop around, get quotes, see if people will beat competitors prices.

Be wary of Falcon tie rods from eBay if they're cheap though, there's a post on here about them actually snapping in half due to a cheap manufacturing process

Yeah alright, I think it depends on the brand and car because my stock joints has done 500k without replacing but the others show near no signs of needing replacement but one where most consistent weight is placed is the one needing replacement (front passenger side from wood and other objects placed on metal braces). As for ebay I have seen the kits for the tie rods/ball joints, but due to ford making 3 different configurations for tie rods I won't do online just in case they mess me around with returns or claim I should have known the version configuration I had, I also only buy little stuff for the XG on ebay, PVC valve from trusted sources. I will buy the rods from the shops maybe even ford as the ford ones on it (not sure model or make) have yet to fail and is stock with 500k on them they have proved tough even the ball joints that have followed the adventure have yet to fail except the abused one. I will try the TRW as a lot of users on this site haven't reported issues with them. 

I do have to look for better deals but the sounds on what your paying. 

Veale parts mate, they are usually very good on parts prices and stock quality parts.

Parts listing for the XG should be exactly the same as XF on ball joints and tie rod ends. Just ask them to check that first though.

I found the front sway bar bushes are different to XF, bar is different diameter.

About 35 -40 bucks each ball joint is a decent price, Repco are always overpriced, same as Auto One.

Also take into account I'm old and still living in the 80's ......... lol

You can try Ford but they don't stock many XG parts these days. Also try super cheap autos if they have someone in there who knows their shit.

They may be shit sometimes, but big chains have more buying power=cheaper prices.

Jack.