BigCav

Alloy Radiator Questions

I ordered a Desert cooler 4 core ( Z flow )( 18 months ago ), and only had to cut the mounts at the bottom to mount it without issue. I also, got them to weld a 'low coolant ' bung in so i can monitor if i am loosing coolant. I bought they're duel thermo fan set-up, and they spin faster than the ef/el set - up. But during a time i had to drive from the bottom of perth to the top CBD, to do training for my job ( on a 40+ days ), i noticed the temp guage creep upto 100". I then installed a 16 inch thermo on the front, and now i drive the car in the hottest temperment australia has to offer and i can keep it around 90" all day, if 3 fans are spinning. Also, being the guage freak i am, i have a temp switch in the lower radiator hose( which shows 90" on it's hottest days), and a temp switch in the factory position on the cleveland pump( which goes to 105 on the hottest days) and i have a factory XF temp switch that hooks upto the ghia dash ( which sits half way of the temp guage on the hottest days.

There's so many ways to set up cooling systems. I had a mate whom had a heating problem on his COM.....E, and he ran a heater hose through the chasis of the car and gave it a 90' turn and the rear bumper, than again he returned the water line down the other side and hooked it back into the system. He had a heater tap on it, and if it started to get hot, he'd hit the heater tap and the then the coolant would flow the length of the car. He had a davies water pump at the back to push the water to the front, cause it's a lot of water for the common water pump to push. After several years he put a shortend version of a radiator at the back of the car with a cooling fan underneath it, and has never had an issue with heating issues. I was going to do it, but i will if this desert cooler ever fails.

and he ran a heater hose through the chasis of the car and gave it a 90' turn and the rear bumper, than again he returned the water line down the other side and hooked it back into the system. He had a heater tap on it, and if it started to get hot, he'd hit the heater tap and the then the coolant would flow the length of the car.

Thats similar to what some pro burnout cars do to have a higher volume of coolant ie longer to heat up

I ordered a Desert cooler 4 core ( Z flow )

4 core? Did you specially ask for that?

At the time i bought it he only had 2 core (but large 2 core) with the triple flow

Alot of new cars now have very wide single core

Apparantly works better with the heat transfer with the way the air flows past the cores

Be interesting to see if the trend carries to the aftermarket world

Yours looks good mate but i prefer the brushed alloy look

Nothing chrome or polished on my car

Yeah he is not bad hey, sells the dream lol

Here's one example, lots more

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/331389758067?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps

I have an AU radiator in my xb and AU thermos . worked well , got to 110 in the clevo which is grout filled , only a few times while in ~35 degrees in traffic for 20 mins ect 

that was with the standard ~35 amp alternator or whatever they are. when the fans were on they wernt very loud , i recon that alternator couldnt spin them fast enough

now i have a 110a alt so ill see how i go with that

i wouldnt mind getting one of these china rads as the inlet and outlet is on the other side.. the au rad has the outlets on the wrong side and its annoying lol

for 120$ for the rad brand new and about 100 for the fans also new. well worth it IMO

i was looking for a factory looking setup as well

ill try to dig up a picture

$120 or something for ebay alloy rad

$20 El fans with shroud

$50 I think for a Davis craig thermo switch controller

$10 for 2 relays from jaycar

2 years on and it's still cooling with no problem.

PWR is an awesome radiator, belting around the track sits under 180.

I have never had problems in the past thrashing, moving

It was the idling and not moving was the problem

werent you annoyed you didnt get what was advertised?

Always knew it was 2 core James (as advertised)

Didnt think he made a 4 core like xfish ordered

It is now being proved less cores cool better than more

Only thing i was disappointed in was quality for the price

I have never had problems in the past thrashing, moving

It was the idling and not moving was the problem

To give you an idea I was stuck in a queue at Summernats for over 20 minutes just idling and it was over 40 degrees and it sat just under 200F. That's unshrouded as well just with the 16" SPAL, with a shroud would have been even better.

To give you an idea I was stuck in a queue at Summernats for over 20 minutes just idling and it was over 40 degrees and it sat just under 200F. That's unshrouded as well just with the 16" SPAL, with a shroud would have been even better.

Thats a good result

Cubes, HP, rpm @ idle, compression, timing @ idle, fuel used, auto or manual, etc effect heat created

I removed my shroud, worked better

The SPAL fans i have there is a recess in the fan housing to run a rubber strip to seal the fan to the radiator

So the fan housing makes its own shroud

Kind of like this, i have the older style where the rubber is round

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m4jbERooHeCyVNI-5bbg6_Q.jpg