Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JGP

XD plenum chamber clean/protect

Gday All,

I was cleaning the plenum chamber (compressed air can from jaycar works a treat) and was going to coat it with POR 15, should I rust convert first? any other prep work?.  I also added some netting under cowl.

IMG_20140119_145217_zps277d1e2e.jpg

IMG_20140119_152722_zps0ab14ab2.jpg

hey mate,

the por 15 rust treatment paint has instructions on the back off the top of my head it goes some thing like this.

get rid of as much rust as you can buy wire brush wire wheel ect then blow all rust flakes out with the air compressor,

then you clean the area with por15 marine clean in a squirty bottle, then clean it with por15 metal prep after that dries it should be ready to paint with por15 rust treatment, paint in  thin even multiple coats brush on or spray on .

im no panel beater there could be other tips and tricks, a auto body shop should help you out as well  

POR has its own rust converter works a treat. TBH that mainly looks like dirt with maybe a bit of surface rust. Use a wire brush on it then if it cleans it all away and no rust is there then use wax and grease remover ( POR has one of these as well) then apply POR paint. The POR bottle/tin should have all instructions on it mine does.

• Tough phenolic resin
  • Zinc phosphate
  • 24"-long tube with conical nozzle reaches in .......sounds like a night at Helga's House of Pain. (errr........so I've been told)

Looks good, what could possibly go wrong. ??  Can you get that here?? Not sure if you can post aerosols overseas.

POR15 is good stuff, trying to remember a cheaper product I have used on motorbike fuel tanks....... brain dead, old fart. :huh:

• Tough phenolic resin
  • Zinc phosphate
  • 24"-long tube with conical nozzle reaches in .......sounds like a night at Helga's House of Pain. (errr........so I've been told)
Looks good, what could possibly go wrong. ?? Can you get that here?? Not sure if you can post aerosols overseas.

POR15 is good stuff, trying to remember a cheaper product I have used on motorbike fuel tanks....... brain dead, old fart. :huh:

I don't know if you can get it locally? I found it while searching for something else...

I think if you used this and taped it to a coat hanger wire to be able to direct it, and use one of those inspection cameras http://bestcamerareview.us/kysee-unseen-inspection-camera/

You would be able to seal around the air vent area pretty well....?

I did mine a few weeks ago, vacuum, wire brush, rust kill, then I ended up giving it a coat colour as it looked heaps better than the black, more pics in my thread

E00288BE-0007-4355-9096-90A45EE1DE2F_zps