Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Joelxf92

help diagnosing problems with my car

hey guys i need some help diagnosing a idling problem with my 1992 xf falcon ute (carb) when i set the timing it will never stay on the set mark or anything like that my father recons the timing chain or dizzy could be a tooth out. im thinking of replacing the dizzy leads spark plugs done the air filter. also gave it a coolant flush and engine flush alone with new filter and oil and coolant however doesn't run any better there seems so be abit of leaking around the top and middle plate on the carb might clean it with something and see if it comes back. I haven't searched for air leaks yet will do though. its really running rough at idle at about 600rpm if i yank on the steering wheel while foot on the brake it just about stalls itself its auto stock motor any help would be appreciated

Cheers. Joel!! 

What is it leaking between the carb top and middle plates? Fuel? Air? Air would cause it to idle a bit rough, but high too.

I think 600 rpm is a bit low for an auto to idle at. Try adjusting idle speed up to 700 rpm. Then adjust the air/fuel mix screw if idle is still rough.

I'm not sure about the timing. Do you mean you set it at warm idle one day, then check it later on while idling warm, and the timing has changed?

Thanks mate I have adjusted the rpm and the air mix Screw seems to do next to nothing. It fuel leaking from the top and middle plates ill take a picture tomorrow. We set it at the book spec and when I have her some juice she just had a massive flat spot did nothing and didn't even down change. Thanks again

Cheers Joel!!

I found out it idles better when it's cold and idles worse when warm it wouldn't idle maccars this morning kept on stalling when I tried to put it into drive after starting it

Cheers Joel!!

Are you setting the timing correctly for an EST motor? There is a plug you have to short out otherwise this problem can occur.

Is it the vacuum plug ? Is it on the dizzy ?

Couldn't find one

Cheers Joel!!

Are you setting the timing correctly for an EST motor? There is a plug you have to short out otherwise this problem can occur.

+1

There is no vacuum hose all I can see is a plug with wires no vacuum hoses dizzy parts were dirty as a hookers mouth. Cleaned them up and it runs abit better at this point in time

Cheers Joel!!

Why do you keep mentioning vac? Stop mucking around with the carby and set the timing according to the procedure in the book. If you don't get your base timing correct, the computer won't know how to compensate and no matter how many times you check the timing it will never be correct. 

Yer it's a 1992 all I can see it a electrical plug going to the dizzy. I was told it could be the idle control solanoid so I tested it. The guy said pull the connected off and the car should die again it did nothing at All

Cheers Joel!!

Why do you keep mentioning vac? Stop mucking around with the carby and set the timing according to the procedure in the book. If you don't get your base timing correct, the computer won't know how to compensate and no matter how many times you check the timing it will never be correct. 

I have set the timing all to book spec. A little change but than it runs like crap again and yes I tighten the clamp back up

Cheers Joel!!

I have set the timing all to book spec. A little change but than it runs like crap again and yes I tighten the clamp back up

Cheers Joel!!

So you bridged the T terminal, checked and adjusted the timing, and then removed the jumper? If you don't remove the jumper it will revert to limp mode. If you don't bridge before adjusting, you can be up to 10 degrees out.

So you bridged the T terminal, checked and adjusted the timing, and then removed the jumper? If you don't remove the jumper it will revert to limp mode. If you don't bridge before adjusting, you can be up to 10 degrees out.

Yeah, this is what I was getting to. Had that problem on my XF ute when I first got it, didn't know about the shorting out.

Kept running like crap and adjusting the timing itself, turned out the base timing was miles off.

Cheers Joel!!

Ok thanks. So that's for they type that don't have vacuum advanced timing. Mine doesn't so I will try shorting out the T terminal thanks mate.

Cheers Joel!!

Ok I have pulled out the ICS (idle control solenoid) and held my thump up to the hole to seal it and it ran so much better so I found out the ICS was buggered so I chopped the little rod off put it back in the hole and she runs great better than ever

Cheers Joel!!

If you've disconnected the idle solenoid, it should stall whenever you stop.

Not entirely sure how they work, but basically the idle solenoid is meant to make them run smooth at idle. I have a semi killswitch hooked into my ute that cuts the idle solenoid circuit so it runs like crap/stalls.

Mine must of been faulty cause as soon as I pulled it out and chopped the pin off all things started to work normal again as it's still running like a charm

Cheers Joel!!

hey guys i need some help diagnosing a idling problem with my 1992 xf falcon ute (carb) when i set the timing it will never stay on the set mark or anything like that my father recons the timing chain or dizzy could be a tooth out. im thinking of replacing the dizzy leads spark plugs done the air filter. also gave it a coolant flush and engine flush alone with new filter and oil and coolant however doesn't run any better there seems so be abit of leaking around the top and middle plate on the carb might clean it with something and see if it comes back. I haven't searched for air leaks yet will do though. its really running rough at idle at about 600rpm if i yank on the steering wheel while foot on the brake it just about stalls itself its auto stock motor any help would be appreciated

Cheers. Joel!! 

http://ericthecarguy.com/

http://ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-idle-problems