Server maintenance Read more... ×
binary-fuel

Ford xg auto to manual conversion ?

Hey fellow ford nuts. I have an idea to preserve my xg while its rebuild begins. Auto to manual. Would it be to much work to convert the xg column shift auto 4 speed to the 5 speed manual. I want to replace the engine and I thought the manual version of the xg would it fit in?. Is there a difference in the auto transmission and manual gear box, size wise or fitting sizes that might make fitting into the auto xg an issue?

I also understand that the gear stick needs a cut and fit but am I allowed to do this or does an engineer need to do this?

I just haven't been able to find information on this topic. Any information or ideas would be good help. Thanks in advance

Easy as to do.

You need :

Gear box

Pedal box

Flywheel

Clutch and clutch cable

Spigot bearing

Transmission hump

Loom for gearbox

Beer.

It's a pretty simple job mate. Allow yourself 3 days and take your time.

Haha, glad I'm not the only one using a 5" tacho and shift light.

I like the way the wiring has been run through the column shift mounting, I was swapping to a XG column in my XF so I had a blank column, but now I'm thinking I might just chuck the XG wheel on it and set it up like yours nos2.

Nice job on it mate!

Just found this thread as my auto has just died. So am thinking to do same conversion too. So binary_fuel did you go ahead with this swap any problems etc?   

Q.  I have an xh 5 speed manual van  that I can acquire  would pedal box transfer to the earlier body   and  would there be any other problems can anyone  advise   or.   am I better off finding another auto box   thanks. Demmo

I could be wrong but I thought the xh firewall was still the same as all x series Fords?? If so it will fit. You will need a factory manual computer too or a j3 chip to get it to idle properly ( you can manually adjust the idle solenoid and disconnect it but this will make for a rough idle when the a/c cuts in )

If that xh panel van is a factory manual and still a solid vehicle I’d think twice before tearing it apart. Have a look at the prices panel vans are pulling these days. You could sell it whole, pay for your conversion and buy a turbo kit too.

Heya Demmo.

I got a spare auto but it's xg..... and Im a bit far away.

Should be plenty autos around mate at the wreckers. Some e series autos will fit.

Tell me what its doing.... might just need a decent service on it.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

thanks guys for reply's   yes the van is complete   but  I would need to be best friends with someone like  2redrovers  who can turn pig shit into strawberry jam   (for those who don't have a weird sense of humor its rusted)

thanks for the offer jack   at this stage I still not sure what to do.  its a case of having to many toys, the war office complaining about too many spare parts in backyard, the usual empty pocket syndrome, and what spare time? 

the tranny only seems to go straight to second then third and when at speed you back off pedal and it seems its in neutral  a bit like the first old holden hydramatics   even when you lock selector in 1 it will rev out to about 75  shift to 2 and you can hit 110  hit 3 and 4 no change   reverse works fine   so I guess the tranny is destined for scrap

cheers demmo

o sorry jack just re read all posts  and the ute in question is an xg  that I use for a run a round   the red xh outback is retired to the hayshed  

maybe I should of posted a few pics of xg when I saved it from tip    but its not in same league as all the flash xg s  on here  and its not red don't want to embarrass anyone  cough cough haha

cheers demmo

Lol. Trippa.
Sounds like a slipping trans belt.
Pity Im not closer with code reader.... can diagnose auto box with it... see if it throws up a code.

Bloody cars I tell ya! Hehe.
I got no spare room to save you from the war office...... only flowers, dinner and dancing can do that..... hahaha.

Best of luck mate.
Ol auto is in blue xg ute.... I never tried it ( never ran) . It is 50/50 if its ok still... but ute had blown head... so might be fine.
Yours if ya get stuck.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk