agentkiwi

needle roller bearing

Hey mate I had a brand new one, will check the shed when I get home to see if I still have it. If you cant find one anywhere else let me know, I wont need a spare anymore as Im goin to manual steering.

Motospecs can supply the new roller top - part no. A50280RM - branded as 'Newcom', where the 'Kirby Bishop' writing was.
Newcom Industries Pty Ltd, is the Pedders parent company, and who make the Pedders springs, rebuild their steering componentry, etc.

http://www.newcomindustries.com/

The Newcom roller top, also comes as a part of the Motospecs full steering box rebuild kit - part no. GSB-3021

Before they were available, I got some bush tops retrofitted with a bearing, by searching the Timken catalogue at Bearing Wholesalers.

The existing bronze bush, needs to be machined out on a lathe, and the recess where the bush was, needs to be center bored to open it up slightly.
The bearing I used, was a Timken full complement torrington race needle roller bearing, part no. 32208.

http://www2.timken.com/timken_ols3/Bearings/GST/WEB_GST2008/GST_BrgSrchDataPlus.asp?BrgMainType=TRB&BrgSubType=TS&Cone=33208&Cup=33208&Series=33208&PNum=33208&Unit=false&BrgImage=Images/TRB-TS.bmp&DataPlusStr=0.36::1.68::40::80::32::143::37.1::144::321.5::51::47::2.8::2.4::25::1.5::70::76::-10.9::9.316::6.684::2.898::0.4178::0.5822::-::&DataPlusStr1=&DxfFileStr=8350**37100**1.63**5120**22800**32200**143000**1.61**0.73**1.5748**40**3.1496**80**1.2598**32**1.2598**32**0.9843**25**0.06**1.5**0.06**1.5**14500**64700

http://www.timken.com/EN-US/products/bearings/productlist/roller/needle/Pages/drawncup.aspx

The Newcom roller top, is NOT a full complement torrington race bearing.
The bearing is branded NTN, with a part no. of SCE 208A

Full complement, means that each roller abuts the next roller, all the way round the bearing.</p>
Caged needle roller (torrington) bearings are cheaper, and have half as many rollers - which are spaced apart by a plastic insert (cage).

I have a NOS Ford top, which came from the factory with the torrington race bearing, (they were obviously being fitted at a later stage - XG?)
- Part no. XA3580AKT.
It's branded 'Kirby Bishop', and has a full complement torrington race bearing - with an outer cup part no. B208 (could be timken branded)
It must be a late production item, as the wording and finish of the top, is very average - hence the sand casting mould must have been very worn out.

The Newcom tops are cast very tidy, so they must've purchased and refurbed (or copied) the mould, then rebranded it too.

Interestingly, the four bolt holes are tapered holes.
BUT......
the holes in the Kirby Bishop top, are tapered with smaller opening on the inside, and larger on the outside.
Whereas the four bolt holes on the Newcom top, are tapered opposite - with the larger end on the inside.

One of them, has had the holes cast from the opposite end - ie, one top has been cast in a mould facing up, and the other, cast facing down.
How (or if) that would affect the fit, I dunno.

We'd have to compare it with a couple of tops, off some non-rebuilt steering boxes, to get the best two out of three or something.

On both tops, the holes are cast as part of the mould, they're not drilled afterwards.

Note the awesome quality control with the NOS Kirby top, in the last pic...... ;)

IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

That's an awesome write up. Very useful. Thanks.

Given that I work in an engineering workshop with a borer & lathes, my best bet might be to buy the full complement bearing, machine out the bronze bush, bore the hole bigger & press in the new bearing?

Or do you reckon the newcom ready to fit tops are good enough?

Thanks again for the excellent post

i much prefer the kirby bearing style..... but the casting of the newcom is so much better...

how hard is it to press out the bearing on the newcom and replace it?

My experience with those needle roller casings has shown them to be thin and fragile when trying to drive/press them out. They just end up smashing to bits. Welding them out might be a delicate but more successful means. Pressing the new one in might be interesting, may need some heat on the casing to slip it in easier.

My experience with those needle roller casings has shown them to be thin and fragile when trying to drive/press them out. They just end up smashing to bits. Welding them out might be a delicate but more successful means. Pressing the new one in might be interesting, may need some heat on the casing to slip it in easier.

You freeze the bearing, and warm the alloy casing to about 100 degrees.

Bearing should almost drop straight in then.

I'm replacing all ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman, idler & buying the $450 Nolathane bush kit. Front & Rear.

I intend to do all of this over a long weekend in the next month or two so I'll be taking photo's & doing a write up as I go.

Should be interesting. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is drilling out the rivets in the old ball joints! Big fat ~10mm suckers!

Can I purchase the motospec full steering box rebuild kit direct from motospec? Or do I need to go to my local auto shop and order it in?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Update.

I started tackling this today.

Radiator sprung a small leak so I took that out & got it braised.

I thought while I'm at it & the car's off the road I'll change the top.

I also failed a warrant for a worn pitman arm ball joint so perfect time to do it.

Everything went well except getting the pitman off the steering coupling. Ran out of time today so tomorrow once I get that apart the box will slide straight out.

Wish I had a hoist, would be so much easier than a crawler!!

Machinist at work looked at the top & bearing & said the bronze bush isn't worn but agreed it's a good idea to change to bearing, he said it will be a piece of cake so that's good!

Replacing Pitman, Idler, tie rods & upper ball joints. Could be a long day!!

I finished this conversion yesterday. Overall, it's not that hard to do. It does make a difference & wont wear out the bush anymore.

A couple of things;

The bronze bush is 18mm deep, the bearing is 12. We machined out the bush down 14mm so that the bearing sits 2mm below the top surface. The bush wears out near this surface so that gap will reduce stress on the bearing. I press fitted the bearing after heating the top very gently. 2-3 taps with a bit of 1&1/4" round bar & a hammer to get it in.

The photos above from sparky dave illustrate this well.

The steering box can be a bit fiddly to get in & out. A hoist & or a helping hand would be ideal!

Make sure you cap all of the lines & holes in the box or the fluid goes everywhere including on your exhaust which smokes when hot making you shit yourself thinking the car is on fire!!

Pitman arm is much easier to get off with the box out of the car. Puller & a little heat, it pings off.

That's about it folks. I'm glad I did this & thanks for all the assistance & advice!