Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
binary-fuel

XG 1994 model temp gauge not showing correct temp

Since I have been the owner of my beating down XG 1994 model I have began to slowly fixed issues wrong with it.

This issue is one that I have not been able to see a workshop about. It is is the temp gauge.
The car seems to not overheat one bit. I have checked the thermostat and it seems to be opening and closing at the right moments. I know this may be easy to fix but I am not what you say a car smart person as I work with computers in the networking engineering department, this complete new world I say.. haha.
The temp gauge does move to cool temps but it does not go into operating temperature unless hailing a lot of weight. I am not sure if its the gauge or the temperature sensor. Is there ways to tell what could the issue be. Any easy test? 

Replace the temperature sender and do not use thread tape, just a little gasket goo or something. Mine never gets into the middle of normal when at operating temp.

Has always sat quite low,but in the operating temp section.

Also check the wiring to the temperature sender, it's the small one next to the coolant temperature sender for the computer, on the thermostat housing set up.

Jack.

As Jack says, replace sender they are cheap and that give you a clear idea whats is normal for your car. As all engines are different as my XG sits between N and O on the NORMAL on the gauge. The only time it ever got higher than that was carrying almost a three bedroom house worth of furniture in ute and car tandem trailer 350km and that was only to the R mark. I have known of some people barely hitting the N mark on Normal. Best of luck 

It was the temp sender module which was fried and almost apart of the cars structure. Must had gotten so hot with a heavy load that it had melted the wires and module along with some other wires near the head light split in the wire harness. Thanks for the help guys

Just to save me placing another post and just while I got you guys here could you aid me to a possible fix for this

I have another problem, My clock reader on the instrument panel is not working. The speedo works fine but it does not clock over the ks the engine is doing and is stuck on 10000ks. Could this be a COG gear problem or something electronic? 

Also question for jack. Have you ran into the XG model at all, If so, am I correct for getting the XF manual for this XG model. Would this run through the body works? Suspension, steering modules? I know the engine is EBII and thus why XF isn't a total manual for the XG. But just those mains would it be helpful?

Heya Binary. Yeah if ya speedo is working OK, then it's not your drive from the gearbox with the Odometer reading. May be the actual counter, they get jammed up or sieze when someone stuffs the trip meter. Or it's fried.

A new instrument cluster should be easy to find from the wreckers, just make sure its the same model. eg- GLI is a base model cluster, then you have one with a Tacho which is the mid cluster.

Have I run into an XG........... no......... but I have 2 of the bloody utes here, and all the manuals. lol . One is my baby and the other is parts for my baby.

Basically the XG is the bastard child of Ford parts, so the basics, like suspension are XF.... BUT.... with minor changes, that only the XG manual will tell you of. The steering box is a newer version of the XF with a bearing top end to make them last longer.

Same for motor etc etc etc.....

The workshop manuals you want are the Nissan TFN ute manual (rebadged Ford, ford manuals no longer around). Then an XG ute suppliment manual.

Can buy both on Egay.

The engine is a hodge podge of bits, so you have to be careful, an EB motor doesnt just bolt in. Some parts are different externally.

The XG supplimental manual goes into detail on the motor, and is correct.

XF and XG are two different monsters, even though they look similiar.

When they are running well, an XG ute is a great ute to own.

Jack.

Thanks for the reply. I have the xf manual now, but I got it because I plan to get an xf soon.

Thanks for the information, I have found the xg sup manual but I can't locate the Nissan TFN ute manual even with eBay or a Google search and I have never heard of this model so not sure what I'm looking for to ensure I'm getting the correct manual. Got any pictures or successful Google search you would send me so I know what I need? Again thanks for the help and advice

~ binary-fuel

Isn't it a Nissan XFN?

The tripmeter and odometer run off a gear that usually has its teeth stripped off. Replacements are about $10 on ebay and readily available, also easy to swap in!

Keep an eye on that wiring. Damage like that is caused by big current or a fire. Make sure all the fuses etc are correct too.

The Nissan XFN was quite literally a standard XF ute with Nissan badges. Part of the governments failed "Button Plan". Also involved the Toyota Lexcen/Holden Commodore and the Holden Apollo/Toyota Camry.

But anything you need to know for a XFN, would be in a XF manual. Even when the "Nissan XFN" was still new, spare parts came in Ford packaging.

Isn't it a Nissan XFN?

The tripmeter and odometer run off a gear that usually has its teeth stripped off. Replacements are about $10 on ebay and readily available, also easy to swap in!

Keep an eye on that wiring. Damage like that is caused by big current or a fire. Make sure all the fuses etc are correct too.

Yeah it is SLO247, sorry..... brain fade. Nissan XFN...not TFN....... lol

The Nissan XFN was quite literally a standard XF ute with Nissan badges. Part of the governments failed "Button Plan". Also involved the Toyota Lexcen/Holden Commodore and the Holden Apollo/Toyota Camry.

But anything you need to know for a XFN, would be in a XF manual. Even when the "Nissan XFN" was still new, spare parts came in Ford packaging.

The XF falcon ute Workshop manual is no longer available anywhere. The XFN Nissan manual is the only workshop manual still available.

Binary, you can get the XFN manual here, same place I did..... order direct, it's not listed on Egay.

http://www.computeroutpost.com.au/list/?keywords=Nissan+ute+XFN

These guys have pretty much any manual you could want.

Laters, Jack.