Anthony Pllu

Ba using a lot of oil

Hey guys I have a 03 ba xt 218,000km it has always ran fine, anyway I had I parked out the front and did not start it for about a week, when I went to drive it today it took about ten mins to start, it sounded a little strange and when it fired up it ran like a dog for about five mins, misfiring hunting for idle, I turned it off after it warmed up and checked the oil and it was almost bone dry, no leaks found anywhere nothing on the drive way, nothing in coolant tank, and no steam or anything from

the exhaust. I only serviced it 800km ago so cant see where near 6 litres of oil has gone in that time. Any ideas??

sent from mobile

Doesn't sound very nice mate. Can't answer the oil one but the cranking issue I have encountered many times on breakdowns. It often happens when the car has sat for a long time. You crank it and it feels like you've got no plugs in it... No compression. It cranks and cranks and nothing still. What's happening is the cam actuator(s) have emptied themselves of oil and retarded the cams fully, bleeding off any compression while you crank. It takes a while to get oil pressure to the top of the engine and through those tiny holes in the solenoids, but then once that finally happens and you get normal cam action, you have another problem: the computer doesn't know all this is happening and just keeps pumping in fuel while cranking, and ends up flooding the engine. The way to clear a flooded EFI engine is to hold your foot flat to the floor and crank. The computer knows that you're trying to clear it out so stops injecting fuel. It should then cough and splutter to life with some black smoke, etc.<br /><br />This cam problem is often caused by the solenoid becoming dirty and jammed open slightly in the tiny valve inside, causing oil to leak back out of the actuator once the engine has stopped. Then you go full retard, so to speak. Hope I explained it well enough

15/40 I'm also thinking might be the oil filter if always used cooper filter now this one is a repco and it has given me oil pressure light for a sec on start up since fitting it, iv always used 15/40 in it and always used penrite. Thinking Gregg is right, as it sounded like no compression then went really hard so I held foot flat and that's when it started to kick to life again just don't know why its using oil.

sent from mobile

Wouldn't be the first time some cock smoker forgot to put the oil in the motor when servicing it. Had it done to me once.... not fun. Make sure you had oil in the first place. Motors will run without oil, but not for long. If it was leaking 6L or blowing it out the back, you would see it.

Best of luck man.

Jack.

who serviced the car? any chance they left the o-ring on the block? itll be pissing oil out everywhere and empty the sump fairly quickly.... unless maybe they only put 5l in it?

they run 10w30 from factory, so 15w40 should be fine with an engine with that mileage on it, as for the repco filter, yeh use ryco, they cost 20 cents more and have an anti drain back valve. cant remember if the repco ones do.

i did the service myself always have. as i said there is no leaks nothing going out the back. wondering if the valve seats are stuffed and whats on the top is going into the chamber over night. iv put more oil in it back to the right line. drove 200km today and checked again and was fine so doing my head in. it always used a little oil needed a top up every 3-5tho but 800km and bone dry i dont get it.

LOL , sorry then dude, I thought ya took it somewhere.....

I took mine to Automasters once, rang em after I got home and asked if someone could drop past with my sump plug and 6L of penrite, seen as I just drove it home with no oil in it............ they made me come get it......... bastards......

Jack.

If there is no leaks (you would know) It's going out the exhaust, I've found that some fully sythetic oils and some engines just don't work together, ends up burning the lot.  I would always use at least a semi-synthetic oil if not a purely mineral based oil in those engines. 

Don't think some bastard hasn't sabotaged it while it's been sitting? I know of someone who has had it done to them, luckily the bastards left a little oil behind so the owner knew something was up before he started the car. If it was burning that much oil you think you'd notice the smoke. Keep checking it more than usual anyway now that you've refilled it.