Server maintenance Read more... ×
KRUPTOR

302 windsor engine number

just above the starter motor below the left head ,right at the back, there is two small flat areas this is where it is

Can this be seen from the top or from underneath?

Hey guys just picked up a tirled ol Ford v8 thrown in with a car I brought. I want to figure out if it's a 289 302 etc as the guy didn't know. When I have the Manifold taken off my other car with 289 it is stamped on the top of the block under the manifold. I took the Manifold of this other one and can see no markings. I can see the Engine no. at the front JH71AB which tells me where it was made etc. but not the size anywhere? Shouldn't it be stamped somewhere? it has 8 manifold studs pus the 4 under the carby I think its a 302 but my v8 experience is limited. Thanks

Pull the sump is your best bet. 289 cranks had 1M cast into them, 302s have 2M. The block is slightly different at the bottom of the bores. 289s have shorter, flush bores whereas 302s have a small protrusion of the bore into the crankcase. Doesn't matter really because the blocks are otherwise interchangeable. Bores are the same at 4".

I have a similar issue, GH 19455C stamped into Cf block and upon taking rocker covers off have 289 heads). What are anyone's thoughts on this?