Server maintenance Read more... ×
EgoXF

steering column plastics problem due to boss kit

g'day blokes. since iv'e taken the standard wheel off to put on my momo i have had this shitty looking gap, and the plastic actually rubs on the boss kit causing it to slowly grind away shaving of plastic and it moves with the wheel occasionally too. now Polson told me too find a normal XF column plastic which iv'e been meaning to try but, but before i go buying parts has anybody else tried anything else? 

12302459195_2c13a75830_o.jpgthe momo by EnvyXF, on Flickr

I had a similar looking boss kit on a steer wheel (wood grain) on Nana and i had to adopt the standard XF blinker cancel mechanism on the end of it

to cancel my blinker and to fill the gap/void it had. From memory i had to file some of the plastic blinker surround away  so it would fit and work properly.

It did and i had no probs.

I guess you have done this to?

(cant find the steering wheel at the mo to get a pic)

That's way wrong^^^^

Get the right boss kit, and you don't have any plastic spacer there at all.

SAAS BK132 is what you want (or MOMO equivalent boss) - specifically suits the column shift XF's, and all XD/XE columns.

thanks mate i'll have to check out that p/n at work. i could only find 2 saas xf boss kits in our database and one of them wouldn't fit on the spline at all for some reason and then there was this one

I had a similar looking boss kit on a steer wheel (wood grain) on Nana and i had to adopt the standard XF blinker cancel mechanism on the end of it

to cancel my blinker and to fill the gap/void it had. From memory i had to file some of the plastic blinker surround away  so it would fit and work properly.

It did and i had no probs.

I guess you have done this to?

(cant find the steering wheel at the mo to get a pic)

Here you go.

These are 2 pics of mine. (i looked for the wheel this morning)

I had to file down the front of the factory blinker cancel mechanism so it would sit flush on the boss kit 

then attached it with some gaffa tape and presto it worked. Sat in the factory plastic column surounds 

and canceled the blinker per normal. 

005-1.jpg

006-2.jpg

If the plastic spacer fouls on the column trim, some love with a dremel/angle grinder or a file will solve the problem, I've got SAAS BK132L, BK132 is to suit dished wheels (aka shorter in length) that looks like an E series or an XC-XD boss kit.

Yeah, sometimes you may still need to run that shallow XF spacer, with the groove for the canceling cam.

Sometimes not.

Seems to depend on the Boss Kit brand, and the era when it was originally cast/made too.

(the fit seems to get dodgier as the boss kit moulds get older I think.)

i just found the box that my boss kit came in and the one that is on it is a bk132L. I have no idea what came with the wheel but it was pulled straight off another XF, and it didn't even slip onto the spline which is why i tried the L