Joelxf92

Fuel gauge

Changed the cluster to a digital dash convert on my xf ute fuel gauge was working fine now I replaced the seal on top of the fuel tank and now it's showing empty I just filled up the tank about 95$$ and still showing empty I was told the sender unit is made of glass inside so could've I broken the glass... Thanks for any help guys

2apu2upe.jpg

Cheers Joel!!

Hmmmmm, I wonder if there is something different about these clusters mate. I put one in my xf sedan without any problems but when i put one in my ute, it reads a lot different to the original falcon gauge. Usually when I swap from LPG to fuel the gauge changes from the LPG level to the fuel level. I knew there was only 1/4 tank of fuel in it but the digital gauge read 3/4. Might be something simple but it might just be something different in the digital cluster. Anyone heard of this?

Hmmmmm, I wonder if there is something different about these clusters mate. I put one in my xf sedan without any problems but when i put one in my ute, it reads a lot different to the original falcon gauge. Usually when I swap from LPG to fuel the gauge changes from the LPG level to the fuel level. I knew there was only 1/4 tank of fuel in it but the digital gauge read 3/4. Might be something simple but it might just be something different in the digital cluster. Anyone heard of this?

I'm on my 4th digital dash in my XF ute (various reasons why I've changed them), and theyve all displayed the fuel level fine, and somewhat accurate.

Only issue I've had with them all is the top half of the gauge takes significantly longer to empty than the bottom. Don't know if this applies to normal XF clusters too, as I never drove mine more than 50kms before I swapped to a digital one.

Top half normally gets me 275-350 kms, but the most I get off a tank (I always fill up before it starts flashing) is 450-500kms.

Neither of my wagons (Ghia was EFI xflow, current one is carb xflow) do that, they were/are near on perfect with the gauge display vs kms done vs how far I go on a tank.

And its definitely not related to individual clusters as the current one in the wagon was taken out of my ute just a few weeks ago.

Maybe its to do with the length of the fuel probe in the tank?

Cheers guys I might fill the tank tomorrow and somehow find out if it's working somewhat accurate. When I installed the new o-ring the gauge was flashing I had more than half a tank left that it stopped flashing when I was nearly empty

Cheers Joel!!

You can always plug the old falcon dash in to see if it reads differently. You only need to remove the bottom trim that clips under the cluster and goes around the handbrake lever. This will allow you to pull out the two wiring plugs and you can just hold it in place as you start the car to see where the gauge reads. A lot quicker than pulling the whole piece out

I'm on my 4th digital dash in my XF ute (various reasons why I've changed them), and theyve all displayed the fuel level fine, and somewhat accurate.

Only issue I've had with them all is the top half of the gauge takes significantly longer to empty than the bottom. Don't know if this applies to normal XF clusters too, as I never drove mine more than 50kms before I swapped to a digital one.

Top half normally gets me 275-350 kms, but the most I get off a tank (I always fill up before it starts flashing) is 450-500kms.

Have you been using ethanol fuel? (E10)

You can always plug the old falcon dash in to see if it reads differently. You only need to remove the bottom trim that clips under the cluster and goes around the handbrake lever. This will allow you to pull out the two wiring plugs and you can just hold it in place as you start the car to see where the gauge reads. A lot quicker than pulling the whole piece out

E10 and E85 are ethanol. United have a 100 octane ethanol fuel too.

Using Tapatalk on my SIII because I can!

Original post is different to my ethanol experience. When mine was full it displayed full but did heaps of klms before the first bar dropped and then they went real quick. A few tanks of normal fuel, 98 in my case as that is all I use, and all came good. One point to think about with fuel. I usually run only bp in the LTD but last time out I went shell. This was on a big cruise up to arthurs seat. My fuel gauge acted like I was using the E10. I was really suss on it.

Using Tapatalk on my SIII because I can!