Sign in to follow this  
fordstu

E85 or LPG or normal 91

Your thoughts and Ideas peoples.

XE 4.1 Carb fed engine. stock at the moment with auto trans.

Car will be street driven but would like some grunt and as my wife says "some meat in the sandwich". She likes the sound of Slydogs ute so have been watching that build with interest but don think I need to go that fair.

Fire away. If its been aked before but I did do a search.

THanks in advance

E85 will require a fair bit of stuffing around. E85 eats normal o'rings etc so you would have to replace everything rubber in the system with E85 compatible stuff.  Unless it's LPG only forget it. Stick with old 91 unless you have some mods in mind.

will be doing full rebuild on car so thats a no biggy really.. as for LPG has got gas tank already but is out of date...is duel fuel set would go straight gas if needed.

Go liquid gas injection if you want something different but it will cost $$$ to set up. If its gonna be a daily then go normal petrol.

If you dont care about the cost of fuel, have a bit of moeny to cover the cost of new lines, pump, filter, carb and are not going to use it as a daily. E85 could be viable. In of itself wont offer huge power gains though.

Im upgrading my mild crossflow to e85 at the moment. Fuel pump - $490 (other options out there cheaper but I want it to last) Fuel Lines and fittings - $400 give or take, QFT 650 modded for E85 - $350 (you can buy a qft ready to go around $800 or other brands) and a Tune $5-900. So around 2k for my upgrade and I will be using 30% more fuel at $1.56 p/ltr so just on $2p/ltr compared to 98. Im doing it because its a cooler and cleaner fuel. Has more of an octane rating, so those 3 things combined should provide a boost in my torque and power. Even a little bit is good in my books. Plus I can run a fair bit more compression to boost power and torque even more. Cooler engine and higher octane + more timing so it has heaps of benefits in my opinion :-)

pro's of e85; can run monster compression (13:1 on alloy heads), make huge power because of that compression, it smells good, you can run high boost if you want, basically if you want power its the way to go, e85 also produces more torque, though slightly less hp

cons; its not overly easy to come by just yet, though it is becoming more and more popular, you have to plumb your fuel system to suit (no biggy anymore, even gates makes fuel line to suit e85), you use more of it (same ratio as LPG basically)

i'm working out at the moment if i want to go e85 or not..... im so tempted because of the monster compression.... make a motor so snappy.

united lists every servo that sells e85 on their website, so that's handy!

if your setting out from the get go, other than the cost of fuel, availability and about 20% to setup initially, i'm all for it, its why i'm hanging back on buying pistons atm.... i want to see what happens supply wise over the next 12 months.

you got 5 more coming your way soon dude.... down the bottom of the page ;)

Yeah saw that, no good if you want to travel the east or west of the state though.

Is united the only place to supply it?

e85 yes, e-flex caltex supplies but that stuffs a bitch, different mixes for winter and summer, i dare say BP and the likes will have no choice in a few years time, just like when 98 was released.

Carby fuel pumps are so exxy. Mine is $110 for a walbro EFI pump that will supply 50% more than my estimated fuel demand on e100 at rated pressure (60GPH). Only estimating it for 220wheel HP though.

Edit: SAE J30R9 and SAE J30R10 spec hoses will withstand e85. The R10 is for use inside the fuel tank. PTFE braided line as a replacement for the steel hardline should be good too.