Server maintenance Read more... ×
unfamilia

e series v8 into xd

basically its as simple as this. in vic you will need

factory ECU, with factory tune

factory exhaust (namely cats)

no mods

the car will have to passed by an engineer to make sure it complies with emissions.

exhaust DB will be tested also

now, assuming you already have everything required to do the conversion, and can do EVERYTHING yourself. then you will only have to spend another $700 to get it signed off. i gaurentee you will spend more than that making everything work.

thus, your best bet, is to drop a cleveland in. 5.0 windsors complete in good nick are not cheap. if you look around you can find a recently rebuilt cleveland for 2-3K and you don't have to worry about any of the emissions gear if its from the same era.

option 1) buy complete 5.0 e/a series take what you need, once registered sell what you don't

option 2) drop a cleveland in, that will make more torque, be nicer to drive and have more hp and probably cost less

basically its as simple as this. in vic you will need

factory ECU, with factory tune

factory exhaust (namely cats)

no mods

the car will have to passed by an engineer to make sure it complies with emissions.

exhaust DB will be tested also

now, assuming you already have everything required to do the conversion, and can do EVERYTHING yourself. then you will only have to spend another $700 to get it signed off. i gaurentee you will spend more than that making everything work.

thus, your best bet, is to drop a cleveland in. 5.0 windsors complete in good nick are not cheap. if you look around you can find a recently rebuilt cleveland for 2-3K and you don't have to worry about any of the emissions gear if its from the same era.

option 1) buy complete 5.0 e/a series take what you need, once registered sell what you don't

option 2) drop a cleveland in, that will make more torque, be nicer to drive and have more hp and probably cost less

I agree, the motors , complete , arn't to cheap

The easiest option would be to buy a nc/dc fairlane/ltd or any early e series car with a v8, rip it all out, j3 chip it to get rid of the smartlock. Ive bought a few now that are cheaper than what some wreckers want for a 302w longblock lol

if you spend 1000-1500 on a complete car

spend ~200$ on the j3 chip

maybe a few hundred on the wiring loom ect if you cant do it yourself

should be a pretty cheap conversion, and if you buy the whole car you can steal the cats from it , as well as obviously the ecu and accelerator cable setup , vac hoses ect ect

would be a pretty sweet conversion for ~2000

all thats different on the gearbox side is you need a 157 tooth flywheel thats 50oz balance for the windsor

I agree with XCSEDAN. I looked at that this option and felt the cost out weighed the effort in victoria and thats if I ended up with a decent windsor to begin with.

The money  was better spent putting into an engine that orginally came out with that model and easily fill out an vicroads engine change form and off I go down the road. 

I could have put a windsor in, no worries as some mates suggested without bothering about engineers but the way insurance companies are any excuse not to honor the policy. That wasn't a chance I was willing to take.   

I have an EL series 2 XR8 motor, box & rear end in my XF. Most have seen it. Left it injected because I wanted to run petrol & not gas. (My car is 1987 & is unleaded hence needed injected to comply). Completely legal. Need to make sure your brakes are similar to what the motor came out of i.e. same stopping power as EL in my case. Used XE V8 mounts, turned the gearbox mount around 180 degrees & modified the tunnel (slightly) to take the factory EL XR8 manual 5 speed. Extractors are modified Pacemakers. Tried that many different ones, not sure what they are. Needed to be modified to miss steering box. Only other mod was to fit an XD battery tray & modify it so that the alternator does not foul.

249020_300552540089057_1703732640_n_zps6

Very nice, indeed. Lots of work, and money, I'm guessing.  Question was whether a Clevo would be cheaper, all up? Reckon it still would be.

BTW, (colin0933) got a build thread on your XF, would like to have a look, if ya do. Looks sweet.  :)

Don't worry mate, I'm only jealous. In WA soon you'll need a Mod plate to put a friggin sticker on ya back window. hahaha.

We can't even have different sized tyres front and rear, everything needs an engineers certificate, it's a joke.

Yet people are allowed to drive unsafe shit heaps on the road..... which is more dangerous?????

At least we care about our cars.

Oh, and they paint Hobbits white in NZ, stick a reflector on their forehead and use them as the little white guide posts on the side of the roads.

Jack.

Very nice, indeed. Lots of work, and money, I'm guessing.  Question was whether a Clevo would be cheaper, all up? Reckon it still would be.

BTW, (colin0933) got a build thread on your XF, would like to have a look, if ya do. Looks sweet.  :)

I have a project thread in XFalcon (that other site) on page 12 of projects called XF XR8 build. Some of the pics you will have to click on & they will open in photo bucket. Never used to be like that but now they are.