bigpaulo

200 rods into 250?

It's all been said and done before but please stop making out its all your own idea, it happens way too much on this forum

Couldn't agree more except for when someone thinks they own the designs for an engine idea and it should not be deviated from when it fails consistently.

Ford followed this same principle with the evolution of the OHC 6, the Pre-xflow, 250 xflow and all earlier 4.0L OHC engines shared the same 5.88" rods, same big end bearing and gudgeon pin. But with the AU intech engine(and the hybrid EL series II built side by side) and all versions of the inline 6 since then they adopted a 6.05" rod and shorter skirt piston, this accompanied with a very shallow piston dish and larger head chamber and thin MLS head gasket puts a lot more energy above the piston mass and thus aids stable combustion over the face of the piston and decreases side wall friction, pushing the lot downwards as fast as it can meaning more torque.

Couldn't agree more except for when someone thinks they own the designs for an engine idea and it should not be deviated from when it fails consistently.

Well said Chris...

This is all really interesting! So if you were to go the long rod 250 setup, I assume youd have to get custom shorter pistons? Otherwise would they pop out of the block?

^^^correct, ACL used to have them on the shelf but no longer make them, I thought Mahle were going to start them again but I don't think it's happened. You can still get sets when they pop up for sale but they usally have a premium price now days.

Yep - never seen a short rod engine yet that his come apart without significant wear on the piston skirt and that side of the block. 

On the piston front I found a set of forged pistons to suit a 4.6l 'big bore' application that were perfect for a .020" x-flow block and 200 rod combination.  They were made by DSS racing in the states and were around the $650-$700 mark for 8 pistons.  cant for the life of me remember the part no.  They may be an option. 

Not 100% sure, but seem to recall that the early 347 had a problem with the gudgeon pin bore, being too close to the oil ring groove. I believe it was fixed b y ACL or Federal Mogul or some such. (New design of piston.)

When Tickford had to come up with the T3 stroker engine, they tried all sorts of imported stroker kits and the engines did not pass the Ford durability tests, ending in "catastrophic failure". The boss of Tickford at the time described them as "rubbish". This is why the T3 5.6 contains many locally-sourced bits like a Harrop crank and Argo rods. I believe they used a custom piston too (unsure of brand)

A local engine builder is currently putting together a 250 xflow build for a guy i know and he is running an EF crank and BF turbo 6.05" rods, i question the owner about what slugs and deck height it will end up at and he hasnt a clue but said he trusted the builder to put it together, mind you he has got 35 years of tuff speedway xflow engines under his hat so id believe that he has something worked out.

Correct, heres a couple shots demonstrating the line of evolution from XF to BA

BA na on the left, EF in the middle, and XF on the right.

07ET0213.jpg

Vice versa here, notice the change in piston dish

07ET0214.jpg

Xflow right up to EL share the same rod, AU onwards got longer.

I have been looking into the 200 rods and spoolimports.com in Ozy have new ones at $795 a set and for around$1450 u get 200 rods Ross racing pistons rings ect