clevocortina

Au 3 low idle

Hey guys,

I have a question im sure any of you mechanics on here have dealt with in the past.

We have an au3 sedan it was dual fuel but it kept blowing converters so instead of paying 400 each time we gave up and were just running it on fuel.

I just removed the gas system out of it since its just dead weight.

so we also had to replace all the heater hoses as you are probably already aware.

we ran the car to bleed the cooling system just off the throttle body to get that part of the job done, as the car was getting other work done at the time.

anyhoo, now its all back together and runs fine all smooth and good power etc, but it has a low idle in gear, and will want to stall if you pull on any steering when the car is stationary..

Any ideas???

I have thought about pulling the IAC and throttle body and giving it a proper cleanout but really the only thing that's changed is the removal of the gas stuff, we also blocked up the excess holes and stuff so we don't think its a vaccume leak

Iac and throttle body clean is a regular service item, so I'd start there and work my way up. Nulon carby cleaner is only about 12 bucks. I'd also suggest some Subaru upper engine cleaner. Works wonders on any engine with some kays up.

When you removed the LPG setup, did you disconnect the battery?

If so, the computer needs to re-learn.

There is a startup sequence you need to follow on first-start after reconnecting the battery, which will set all it's baselines.

Some AU's respond to this, others don't. My AU2 I know this HAD to be done or it would just stall. My AU1 didn't seem to care if you did it or not.

I just did a full exhaust on mine, reset on the battery.

2min in neutral no air con

2min in neutral air con

2min drive no air con

2min drive air con

took it for a blast

but idling just under 600rpm in drive, its dropped about 25rpm.

I think I may need my idle bumping up slightly due to the ph4480 and 2.5 exhaust, don't know yet as it could also be my fuel pump.

Clean your throttle body and iac, and reset the kams and see how you go.

thanks boys, I had the battery disconnected for a few days as I was doing other work to it and had the doors off and boot open etc.

Excellent, I'm very confident that the re-learn procedure (step-by-step above) will fix your issue.

Let us know! :)

i suspect your IAC is not working. unplug it and see if it makes any difference.

not sure about the AU, but on the EF the IAC shares the 12v feed with the injectors. given the gas system cuts this to turn off the injectors, the 12v feed to the IAC is cut and fed from elsewhere. you may need to trace the wiring for this.