Sign in to follow this  
SPArKy_Dave

Custom Gaskets Manufacturer/Supplier

Copied this info over from the other website, due to archival importance.

GASKET SOLUTIONS - QLD

G'day Everyone,

I own a business that manufactures custom made gaskets which basically means if you can't get it I can make it for you!

Of the custom gaskets that I make and stock I have multi layer steel head gaskets to suit the Ford 250 xflow engine (alloy head), along with MLS head gaskets for the Holden 202 Red and Blue/Black engines (hope I didn't upset anybody mentioning GM vehicles). The MLS head gaskets very strong and have excellent heat resistance as they are manufacture from stainless steel and are particularly suited to turboed engines where combustions pressures and temperatures are higher.

If anybody is interested or wants to know more about the products and services we provide, you can go to our website www.gasketsolutions.com.au or email to info@gasketsolutions.com.au.pdf.gif  Gasket Solutions Flyer.pdf   775.98K   10 downloads[]post-35468-0-81009300-1350976151_thumb.j

Cheers

John wink_2.gif

My question to John -

Hi John,

do you have an MLS gasket to suit the Ford OHC 6 cyl engine?
Better than the one Ford supplies for the EL/AU engines, and to retrofit the earlier EA-ED's and XG's?

Alternatively.... if not, do you know if the ACL Race series head gasket, for the OHC six, is an MLS composition?

Johns Response -

Hi Dave, There is an aftermarket MLS that suits those engines and it is only available in one thickness (1.3mm), I can't say that it is better than the one Ford supplies as I'm not familiar with the construction or aware of the problems related to the Ford product. I know the BA Ford MLS is a single layer embossed steel shim so it really isn't an MLS.

The ACL race series head gasket is not an MLS composition, it's a composite construction.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm only too happy to help if I can.

Cheers

John

My Question -

Hi John,

I'm guessing that would be the Permaseal OHC MLS gasket.
I haven't heard much about their reliability, and am hoping to find something which will last many years, in a non- turboed application.

I also have another vehicle - an XG panelvan (OHC six) which I would like to turbocharge.
What head gasket do you recommend for that application?

I always prefer a bit of overkill, which then in theory, will be understressed in service.

John's answer -

Hi Dave,
You are correct about the Permaseal MLS, I did a bit of checking on these gaskets and the parts supplier I'm a distributor for says that they have not had any adverse comments on this product. The Monotorque or Race series head should provide good service providing the non-turboed application is not working too hard.
If you are looking for something stronger we do a modified composite gasket where we insert extra reinforcing inside the fire rings. The construction is a Kevlar reinforced facing mechanicaly bonded to a perforated steel core fitted with stainless steel fire rings with internal reinforcing.

For the turboed XG my first choice would be an MLS. They are strong, good heat resistance and work well under shear particularly where there are two disimilar metals (i.e. alloy head/cast block), you would however require a very tight finish for both the head and block (less than 0.5 micro-metres RA). No sealant is required and only one torque.

The next choice would be a copper head gasket, but you will need to 'o' ring and it can be difficult to seal oil and waterways. Sealant will be required and re-torqueing will be necessary

The next option would be the construction described above we have had good success with these in turbo applications. No sealant is required and only one torque.

Hope this helps.

Cheers John

Question from Clint -

What thickness would these be? Im guessing they would squash like 3% when torqued down.
Also a cost delivered would be ace cheers.

John's answer -

The thickness I have in stock is 1.0mm but I can supply other thicknesses upon request.
An MLS is made from stainless steel where the two outer layers are embossed aroung the combustion areas plus oil and water ways, and these are the only areas that would squash when torqued down. For example, the 1.0mm thick MLS I have while they measure approx. 1.5 to 1.6mm across the embossed areas the combined thickness of the steel layers are 1.0mm and this will be the compressed thickness.

Cost delivered is $385.00 each.

Cheers

John