Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
XFute-1JZsoarer

93 XG running gear into 88 XF ute

Hi all, I'm about to go strip an XG Falcon for its 4 litre, T5, diff and electrics to convert into my 4.1 carby XF ute.

Can anyone here please tell me any little things that I need to do this conversion successfully?

The ute I'm stripping is an hour and a half away, and rather than tow the whole car home, I'll be dismantling it at the place of purchase, so I'd like to get it all in one trip.

Other than the obvious bits (looms, engine, box, diff, ECU, radiator, power steering, pedal box and cable, engine mounts, crossmember, exhaust, engine bay components, fuel tank, steering column and dash) is there anything I have overlooked.

It would suck to be almost done and get stuck cause I'm missing something critical...

And has anyone recently done this conversion and got it registered in Qld, would love to hear how it all goes with the legalitys of this swap.

Thanks in advance.

Jay.

I'm trying to do it that way, just being out in the sticks, I'm not exactly spoiled for choice with trailers or tilt tray company's...

And don't really have the extra funds to just bite the bullet and pay whoever will do it...

Other than what you have said you will need the sway bar. But definitely try and get the whole car home... Servo's often have trailers for hire.. that's what i used to do although i only live 30min out of Toowoomba. so wasnt that far just to take it back in after I got the car home.. 

Yeah I forgot to write swaybar....

The trailer place I found that's local (I think) appear to only have 1200kg car trailer.

Surely an XG ute with half the interior and front bumper missing is still goin to weigh more than that?

Or do you guys think it would be alright?

One of those trailers will be fine as long as its one of the big tandem ones. The weight rating is more to do with the lack of electric brakes I'd say.

Just tow it with a suitable car and use some big fucking straps on it.

It would probably be around 1500kg. Look it up on redbook.

Damn it, I have to go get it in pieces...

Sucks living out in the sticks sometimes!

Anyway, is there anything off the actual body I should cut and pull out?

Like the top radiator support panel?

I've heard it's different to the XF for the XG radiator to mount too.

No they just have bolt in adaptor brackets for the rad, you might have to cut the brackets that hold the radiator filler/overflow tank. 

True, wish I checked this before I left... Lol

Nah, I gotta go back to get fuel lines, a swaybar link and the trans hump (and maybe the part where the clutch cable goes through the firewall).

I got the whole lot to fit in the old XF, she wasn't happy go over the mountain side all arvo.

Looking forwards to getting it all goin!