Sign in to follow this  
XFute-1JZsoarer

Borgy 5 speed (not T5)

I made the mistake of buying a Borg Warner Single rail 5 speed (507) gearbox.

Looks to be in decent condition, pulled it apart today to check the condition of its guts.

All looks good.

Can anyone tell me if this box will survive normal (and I do mean normal) driving behind a stock, carby 4.1l in an XF ute.

Just till I can get a better single rail 4 speed or T5 little bit later down the track.

Really just want to get rid of the column auto for now...

Thanks a lot guys, I have been really hoping that was the case.

Just want it to help get the revs down at hwy speeds as I live out bush, so lots of 100kph roads around here.

So just don't go dropping the clutch, and only overtake in 4th, should last a little while yeah.

Appreciate the input guys.

Thanks, Jay.

i had one in a vk it was the worst shifting gearbox i have ever used and i drove a ute with an aussie 4 speed with a worn shifter that could go into 2 gears at the same time but it was still better to drive than the borgy 5 speed 

I know it's not a great gearbox, just wNt to know if it will survive behind a 4.1 crossflow.

The box I have shifts fine, input/output shafts have minimal play, looks to be in great overall condition.

Even if I only get 6 months out of it, I'd be happy...

4.1 crossflow is a pretty torquey motor similar to a 5 liter V8 .

It will last if ya don't give it a hard time 1st and 5th are the gears that are most likely to go so keep that in mind

try it and let us know how its going in say a years time 

Cheers man, like I said, I'd be happy if it keeps goin till I find a decent 4 spd or T5, and at least it will already be converted to manual.

I got 3 new clutch plates, new pressure plate, new throw out bearing and new flywheel, just need a pedal box and cable...

Do you think the auto speedo gear will work in this box?

So it's actually not a T5? I thought they still were but called "Non-World-Class" and weren't as tough inside.

non world class T5s weren't used in Australia

the borgy 5 speed is a box that was originally for mitsoshitty sigmas

I had one othe these in a 3.3 XE i bought a couple of years ago, went alright for the time i had it, but now has a big knocky/grindy noise since my mate has owned it,

probly wont last much longer.

So for general duties behind a stock carby 4.1 it should suffice till I get another box a little further down the track.

It's a shame, cause I'd like to bolt up a set of extractors and 2.25 inch exhaust, and an intake manifold.

Guess the can wait till I find a decent box...

You think the stock 2.92 diff won't cause too much strain on it if I take it easy in 1st gear?

Mate I put one of those in a 4.1L xf and i think it only lasted a month or 2. Never did a burnout or anything crazy, and mostly highway kms. Was slowing down to veer off the highway, put her into 3rd at probably 60-80 and accelerated around the slight corner and then BANG, and then a THUMP-THUMP-THUMP-THUMP-THUMP-THUMP noise in third, shifted to 4th and no problems, then into 5th did the same as 3rd. If fact anything that wasnt 4th was making the noise and the car shake violently! So I had to drive home and up the driveway in 4th :) I wouldn't even bother putting it in temporarily... hold onto the auto until you get a single-rail at least. There should be heaps about, i've got a few lying around!

Just been offered a whole XH ute with a T5 in it for $300, only has 168k on the odo and fella said the body is rooted...

I know the bellhousing won't fit a crossflow, but if I found an XF T5 bellhousing, that box would bolt straight on yeah?

Is the diff a straight swap? And is there any worth to dropping the 4.0l engine in later down the track.

The ute is only down the road, and I can strip it there, old mate will get the body scraped.

Does it sound like a good way to go? As I'm on a tight budget at the moment...

Cheers mate.

1 other thing, is it difficult to put the XG diff in, I'm assuming it's disc brake, and my XF is a 2.92 drum brake open ended.

I'm not even sure what the standard ratio is in the XG or if it's different in T5 equipped XG's

XGs are disc. So are XH. You've mentioned both so far. Should bolt straight up, just need something to adapt the brake line from imperial to metric, and I think the handbrake cable.

If the diff is from a T5 car I'd guess its a 3.27 or 3.45 ratio.