Sign in to follow this  
xr6tjet

Trip Computer Stop Lamp Warning Problem

for the light on the parcel shelf/ top, its usually the 1987 XFs that had them because the law was enforced to have them factory. Anything before the 87s didn't have the light so it was not necessary

I think trip computers must be unique to each model of car. ZL lanes have 4 stop lights whereas XFs only have 2... etc etc.

My XF wagon is 87 and doesn't have it.

But anyway. I FIXED MINE!! Ever since I've got it, the driver brake light has been dimmer than the other side. It blew today. So I replaced it, and thought while I'm at it I'll replace the other side.

Ta-da! No more warning light. So maybe try replacing all the globes?

i have added to globes to my lights in the blank holes so i doubt it will ever work.

My first fuel guage light can be good for up to 120km of high way driving. The second one goes quicker though and the rest are random. Gas is exactly the same 100 odd in the first light and only 250km from all the rest.

60 something L or optional 80/90L long range tank?

Brads Ghia has the long range one, but I don't think he's fully filled it... he stopped once it took $120 worth.

stock size is 68L

i did fill it once it took $160 - $190 to fill i did get close to 800km from the tank that was driving it pretty hard on the cruise.

Shit thats alot to fill. Do you run it on 98? The ZL cost about 100 but that is at vic prices and for 91.

yeah it is $90 a week gets me to work and back so thats all i put in it :P

Yeah he does, NOTAV8 is tuned for 98 I believe.

yeah it likes 98 i dont mind goes sweet as is so no point changing it.

pffft toughen up Brad!

After a 15 hour shift on my feet the walk at 3 am at under 0 degrees is a little more tough. But hey im saving like $2.

pffft toughen up Brad!

After a 15 hour shift on my feet the walk at 3 am at under 0 degrees is a little more tough. But hey im saving like $2.

if i could walk the distance in a quick time frame i would lol sadly though i expect it taking quite a while :P

well $2 is $2 lol

Aaahhh........got this prob on the ZL, I bought the other day.

Interesting read, anyone find a company that rebuilds the Trip computer.? I currently have no brake lights, trip comp keeps working off and on, etc, etc...   Changed globes/fuse/brake switch. Still no joy.

Pulled the TC out, and disassembled. Mine has 4 rows of circuit boards, (not 2 like Nigel's excellent photos. Thanks mate) All of which have had solder surgery at some stage. Will try the inchworm bridge fix.......

Aaahhh........got this prob on the ZL, I bought the other day.

Interesting read, anyone find a company that rebuilds the Trip computer.? I currently have no brake lights, trip comp keeps working off and on, etc, etc...   Changed globes/fuse/brake switch. Still no joy.

Pulled the TC out, and disassembled. Mine has 4 rows of circuit boards, (not 2 like Nigel's excellent photos. Thanks mate) All of which have had solder surgery at some stage. Will try the inchworm bridge fix.......

Hi mate yours has 4 rows because it is a high series trip computer like mine with the extra functionality like DTE etc etc. The one in nigel's post is just the standard base model trip computer. I ended up removing the globe in mine on the best trip computer I own and haven't had a problem for about 2 years now. The date and time even holds everytime I leave the car. Some people complain about that problem as well.

Success.  Got frustrated, and soldered the green/red wires together on the loom plug going into the TC. Brake lights again!!

Pulled the globe holder out of the TC so I dont get the "Stop Lamps" light coming on when I brake. (2nd photo)

Big thankyou to Nigel (Xfalc) his pics and tutotrial were invaluable.

Success.  Got frustrated, and soldered the green/red wires together on the loom plug going into the TC. Brake lights again!!

Pulled the globe holder out of the TC so I dont get the "Stop Lamps" light coming on when I brake. (2nd photo)

Big thankyou to Nigel (Xfalc) his pics and tutotrial were invaluable.

Sounds like you have a very used trip computer, the ones I have seem to only have the fault of losing the date every now and again and the warning lamp displaying. The brake lights work no problems though. Glad you fixed it with what you have! I wish I found someone who could actually repair these trip computers fully. Cheers, Alex.