Clevo120Y

Street Stock Speedway

I feel your pain mate - people look at me strangely (well they do most of the time anyway) when I tell them 2 weeks to build a good competition sump. 

As you have found out there is a hell of a lot in it.  Oh and one last tip.  Make all the panels removable for speedway engines.  You need to be able to get them out at rebuild time to clean out all the crud that gets in them. 

Less of a problem is asphalt cars but with speedway engines getting regularly pulled down it really helps when you can get in there to give them a good clean out.  Beware tho - this will consume a lot of time - welding on tabs and captive nuts.  If you have a mate with a 'nutsert' tool - borrow it as it will save you heaps of time. 

This is my first go at a sump obviously lol, I was actually planning on being able to remove the parts Tony, it's a good idea. I don't know anyone with a nutset so I was just going to rivet it to tabs on the sump instead. I'm running out of time now so a basic sump I will do for now and then spend the time required on a spare sump to add scrapers and shit.

OK so I had another go at this sump, much happier with the end result now. Used ally plate this time and fixed it all together with rivets so it can be pulled apart.

checking the fit of the top widage tray.

IMG_0147_zps20f49a56.jpg

IMG_0148_zps0f7dc291.jpg

All the pieces made up.

IMG_0149_zpsf7d795d5.jpg

pieces put together and locating tabs welded to the sump

IMG_0150_zpsae19a036.jpg

IMG_0151_zpsfec8c077.jpg

finished and looks good I rekon, very sturdy and confident it will work quite well.

IMG_0152_zps458fb6b6.jpg

IMG_0153_zpsadb78456.jpg

So what do you lot think? better than my first attempt LOL

Nice work Grasshopper.  One last piece to add.  At the back of the sump - right in the middle.  Get a strip of 1mm steel, 30mm wide.  Fold it up at 20mm on a 30degree angle - giving you about an 8mm long 'up piece'. 

Tac weld this piece under the crankshaft centre line with the up piece facing the passenger side wall of the sump.  You can give it a slight angle towards the pick up - or better still towards you rear flap. 

That little piece will do an awesome job of scraping the oil off the crank - just make sure the up piece of the angle is towards the passenger side of the sump and on that side of the crank shaft centre line.  If you put the 'up piece' dead on the crank centreline it will hit on the conrod.  They go that bloody close to the sump floor !!!

Sump building is fun hey? 

Thanks guys, haven't been on as I have been flat out, this motor got sealed last night and picked up today, it has to go in the car tonight so I can go round tomorrow night to prime the oil, put the intake setup on and fire it up to get a basic tune in it, race it the next morning LOL hope it all goes to plan.

Anyway couldn't get some parts in time so machined up some retainers to suit the isky springs and 3 groove valves, so I spent a few hours on the lathe doing that, then setup the seat pressures and so on.

IMG_0156_zps07fa4e8c.jpg

IMG_0157_zps6be97f4c.jpg

IMG_0158_zps8e751c26.jpg

put the rest together and she all went well, run out of time to to paint everything but she looks a bit better than before.

IMG_0159_zps830903e8.jpg

IMG_0160_zpsb49ab61e.jpg

IMG_0161_zps7bd17fb5.jpg

IMG_0162_zps4a758795.jpg

IMG_0163_zpsc64cdc15.jpg

Kicking back after I finished, one unassuming crossflow ready to eat some injected cars hahaha

IMG_0165_zpse80b3b48.jpg

Another engine was at the mechanical shop that I was doing the retainers at, a SRE built ecotech of probably the fastest guy in our region, he has had nothing but trouble with this engine, it's been built twice and fucked twice. poor bastard is a great guy and is just handing money over like it was sand.

IMG_0155_zps51b82222.jpg

IMG_0154_zpsfea4b6cf.jpg

Also cheers again to Tony for the advice with this, I didn't get to do the strip bit in the sump but I will have a go next time, that's how close a dead line I've been on lately, spent twice as long on everything than I should of, doing extra things like the retainers because they wouldn't get done in time, the joys of race cars. Also I heard today that bad weather is coming and racing might be cancelled Saturday LOL

Engine looks really good.  Did you check for coil bind on the damper with that modified retainer - it looks to have a fairly big step on it - well from the photo's anyway. 

Oh and  I always have a set of machined up Comp Cams 744-16's retainers to suit triple grooves here ready to go. Could of air bagged them over.  Never mind. 

Best of luck for the upcoming season. 

Oh and as for the ecotec - nothing but trouble.  those plastic retainers for the roller lifters have to be changed every ten meetings or they cause the lifter to turn and destroy the cam and then drop valves.  Mob up here has a cnc program to make them out of bronze.  That solves that problem - but they really are a time bomb due to the revs that they have to pull to make HP and make up for their lack of torque. 

Had a work colleague have that happen with his lumpy Comp-cammed LS2, same setup. Fucked the lobe and sent metal through the engine. Plastic engine parts.... What a joke.

Well got some hot laps in and then rain so no racing, she sounded on song during the hot laps and one of the fastest guys in the region couldn't get past the Wombat and he said it feels faster and more snappy, Albany speedway in 2 weeks so hopefully get to stretch her legs.

Yeah I'm happy so far, the springs are good and have 80 thou to coil bind so no worries there, that lip on the retainer sits snug inside the damper. Lighter valve train and reseated valves will make it nice to rev. I adjusted the oil pressure and now sits solid at 58psi and the sump seems to work as oil pressure didn't move.

Sorry to steal your thread but I did notice running the Penrite oil I got when it gets hot it looses oil pressure till you rev it again.I had no such issues with PM50 oil breaking down as fast or loosing pressure though.

Back to your regular programming :)

If you are seeing the oil pressure improve with revs then the oil is still working and working fine and so is the oil pump.  If the oil pressure was not to recover and go up with a rev then the oil is cactus.  if the PM50 was a straight 50 it may well hold pressure longer as it does not have the multi viscosity but really I'm not a fan of running straight weight oils cause you really need to warm them up well. 

PM 50 is 25-50?? if so it may just be a bit better than a penrite.  Try some FUCHS Race 60 'TITAN' I think they call it now - its a 25-50 oil and is full of zinc and copper.  great oil that and holds it pressure very well - especially if you add a 1/3rd of a bottle of slick 50 in it.  The slick 50 is not really needed in your application but in speedway and metho based engines it helps keep everything nice.  Try some - you will love it - doesn't take long to get up to temp either.

One of my old man's mates allways swears by slick 50, his vq statesman with 870,000ks and never had the engine or trans rebuilt is testament to the stuff