Server maintenance Read more... ×
Clevo120Y

Street Stock Speedway

Thanks mate that would be good, we have sets of tyres on both sizes, we just have to get our head around what does what in relation to tyre and rim sizes, also I want him to change diff ratio he is running a 3.23 centre at the moment and I would like to try a 3.08 to get some tyre speed but again I'm not experienced at this speedway stuff.

Depends on the tracks you go to as to what ratio to run. I've got 4 or 5 different ratios that i use depending where i go. Maybe try speak to a few other guys and find out what final drive they run?

3.23 with a 6 cylinder (1.99) 2nd gear ratio works out at 6.4.   I run 5.8 final drive (2.92's) at Cairns 403 metres on the pole line and always goes dry slick.  If I ran 6.4;s I'd be bursting into wheelspin everywhere and that's on race rubber.

I would be giving 3.08 a try as I'm sure that engine will pull them and it might take a bit of sting out of motor and get him into that nice fat torque area.  They are easier to drive like that on dry slick tracks. 

id say most would be running single rails - T5's are a bit weak in second gear.  I ran a 3 speed in my mod prod for the first 3 years - great little box but the smaller input shafts make it difficult to get 'race clutches' (7.25 or 5.5) for.  I used the excedy button clutch on my 3 speed and found them great but they just got a bit expensive to replace. 

Ahhh more info to find out, I know it's a single rail box but what ratio box I don't know. the revs are getting up to about 5800 and I would like to change the ratio to try and pull the taller gear.

Yeah thats getting very high up there for a crossflow! Chuck a 3.08 in it and try that. Would be good to know the box ratio too though, its a pain with single rails because theres 163946 different ones hahaha

Track Suface: Clay

Infield Suface: Grass

Racing Times: Late Afternoon/Night

Length: 440 metres

Corners: 20 metres Wide, 5-10° Banking

Straights: 20 metres Wide, 5-10° Banking

Fence: 1.5m Concrete Wall Then Mesh & Cable Totaling 4.5m

Track Gates: Separate Entrance To Track And Exit To Pit Area

This is the Albany track info.

Yeah thats getting very high up there for a crossflow! Chuck a 3.08 in it and try that. Would be good to know the box ratio too though, its a pain with single rails because theres 163946 different ones hahaha

Sounds horn but hahahaha

Sounds horn but hahahaha

Hahaha it would do! I like the sound of my car just smashing the limiter flat out but its not going to help win races haha

I'm going to try convince him to change the ratio then, the mt barker track that we are at this weekend is a shorter track and a lot rougher than Albany, Narrogin the week after is inbetween the 2 and is the state titles.

5800 - on an unbalanced unrod bolted x-flow - man you are one crazy dude.  You seriously need to drop the revs on that thing.  With that gearing he would be past the torque producing range and would be operating in the real horsepower area.  That makes them real hard to drive on a dry slick track as they just want to burst into wheelspin.  That gearing is good on a track that hooks up or a really boggy track as you can get all the power to the ground - or blow away the slippery stuff and get good bite respectively.

Try and get him to focus on the tacho when the car has 'taken a set' and he is ready to get on the gas.  You want the car at or just before peak torque at that point so that the car pulls hard out of the corner HARD by not exciting the tyres and then just takes off down the straight IMHO. 

Most clay tracks start off wet as and then by the time it is pay day (the feature) they have gone dry slick - or are real close to going that way.  You can guarantee that the feature are the state title will be over 30-40 laps so the track is going to go dry slick.  You need the car to come on song for those last 15 laps so set the car for dry slick (tight not loose) that way if he avoids all the early carnage he should have a sweet ride for the final ten laps.  It nothing to pick off a car a lap when you set the car like this as most of the others will have killed their tyres early.  yeah the first 15 laps wont be fun but that is usually where all the carnage is so he has to keep his head and focus on the fact that the car is going to come on strong at the end. 

good luck with it sean - ah the fun of dirt track racing. 

The reason it wasn't running right will be because you have covered up the air bleeds with that top piece, I had to modify mine so that the carb would work properly. An earlier weber would have been better to use as it wouldn't have the tube in the top, I cut one side of the throttle shaft off mine (screw sat flush on the throttle plate) and used button head screws. I milled the top of mine, had Holley jets in it, bored and then sleeved the base plate to take 350 Holley throttle plates and I made a top for mine so that I could bolt a Holley air cleaner on. I will see if I can send you some pics of the one I did.

Give the 3.08s a go even 2.92 if you have the 6cyd 4 speed. It will give a calmer and more consistant race. I have always preferred to run to 5.4 to 5.6 on radials. He wont know unless he gives it a go. Too many people run too high in the rev range and the car has nothing left to pull down at the end of the straights which is what you need if you want to pass on the highline.

I'm hearing you guys, got rained out today which is a bastard because the innovate air/fuel was in and ready and this was the last race before the states next week, no matter we will just see how it goes in Narrogin and start setting up more for next season to turn some heads when we start flying next season.

While they are looking at the air cleaner they are leaving other things alone - lol. 

No good on the rain out - that really hurts the 'hours to fun ratio'  - the ratio I use to justify the amount of time these monsters consume compared to the amount of fun of racing them. 

Yeah the old XF is starting to get some attention, someones said something as the stewards were asking all sorts of questions yesterday and this was after it was inspected, I was checking timing and generally going over it, calibrating the air/fuel sensor and we seemed to have a lot more people hanging around, what gets me is the faster guys seem to be the ones having the problem with us going quicker.

We were ripped off because the rain started to pour as the stockies were just getting on the track so getting everything out and then packing everything up while getting soaked for no race action, the car still covered in shit from just putting around the track for one lap LOL.

Always the way mate - the fast guys want to stay as the fast guys and they absolutely hate a carby car dusting them - I know this from my experience.  It is just ingrained in them to whinge when they get dusted by an old shape car.