Server maintenance Read more... ×
GASDXD

Upgrading exhaust.

Hey guy wanting to upgrade my exhaust. Currently have 2inch dual exhaust with tri y pacemaker extractors.

Definitely wanting to go to a 2.5inch, but thought about dumping before the diff, not sure if it's legal or not so if people can confirm that would be great.

Jason

Yep not legal, would be noisy as hell in the car especially on the highway. Also a fair chance of exhaust fumes inside the car, not good for anyone.

My Xc had the exhaust dumped at the diff and it was crap. Couldnt hear any conversations inside and yes the fumes from the exhaust were quite bad.

Much better with the twin 2.5" out the back!

when mine where dumped at the diff you could not smell it but its a ute

i have tail pipes now cause it was loud and i did not like driving it it still to loud needs another 2 mufflers

you do get sick of cars that make noise i know i do

I had an xy sedan dumped before the diff, use to rattle the windows on the house during warm up. I loved it cause I was young and didnt care, but it would set off car alarms all the time. I had a mate that had been in the front of the car no worries, 30 minute trip up the highway with him in the back and he threw up and had a massive head ache. Dumped exhaust is completely impractical, dangerous and illegal as said above but so it dropping a car more than 2 inches.

Certainly not legal...but it's your call bro.Why the dumped idea anyway?

Mate had it done sounded unbelieve, I've bought a kit that doesn't have the exhaust cut outs, so thinking of other ideas.

I had an xy sedan dumped before the diff, use to rattle the windows on the house during warm up. I loved it cause I was young and didnt care, but it would set off car alarms all the time. I had a mate that had been in the front of the car no worries, 30 minute trip up the highway with him in the back and he threw up and had a massive head ache. Dumped exhaust is completely impractical, dangerous and illegal as said above but so it dropping a car more than 2 inches.

That was exactly same as his was great but was never in the car for long periods so never really could tell about the fumes.

Mate had it done sounded unbelieve, I've bought a kit that doesn't have the exhaust cut outs, so thinking of other ideas.

Belive me they don't sound unbelievable they are just deeper and louder than a exhaust that finishes at the rear bumper.Everyone who has posted has done it before and it gets old very quick on a daily let alone weekend car.

What state of tune the engine is has bearing on what you should use aswell.Has it got much done to it,have you got a x pipe for it if going twin and perhaps a big single would work/sound better?

My mate actually got sick because of the noise vibration and sound waves, basically made him sea sick cause the sound bounces through the floor into the rear window and into the cabin right into the back of the rear seat passengers.

You can put any exhaust on the car and try and make it sound good but the trick is to put on an exhuast that will enhance the performance of the car then tune the sound. Slys right it depends on the engine as to what size and configuartion will best suit

Belive me they don't sound unbelievable they are just deeper and louder than a exhaust that finishes at the rear bumper.Everyone who has posted has done it before and it gets old very quick on a daily let alone weekend car.

What state of tune the engine is has bearing on what you should use aswell.Has it got much done to it,have you got a x pipe for it if going twin and perhaps a big single would work/sound better?

My mate actually got sick because of the noise vibration and sound waves, basically made him sea sick cause the sound bounces through the floor into the rear window and into the cabin right into the back of the rear seat passengers.

You can put any exhaust on the car and try and make it sound good but the trick is to put on an exhuast that will enhance the performance of the car then tune the sound. Slys right it depends on the engine as to what size and configuartion will best suit

You guys are definitely not wrong, so no arguments there. But I was never in his car for long only quick drives so never experienced the problems that came with it.

Motor is currently stock at the moment but I am looking into crate motors for an upgrade. I have fair idea how much power I want so I'm not chasing the big size pipes, and heard from a lot of people 2.5inch is a good in between.

Any Melbourne boys here? If your handy with the tools maybe search on eBay and buy a exhaust and fit it your self or even get a shop to do it for you.

Or perhaps try a drop in on a few places...I like to talk to people before I deal with em so it may be the go in your case to bro?

Hey mate, always recommend these guys - Dandy Exhausts

http://www.dandyexhausts.com.au/

If you really want the dumped at the diff idea, get a full system made up and have it flanged before the diff so you can take the tail pipes out, get your jollies and put them back in when you get sick of it :)

If you really want the dumped at the diff idea, get a full system made up and have it flanged before the diff so you can take the tail pipes out, get your jollies and put them back in when you get sick of it :)

i did that with my 6cyl, took it up the street dumped before the diff and by the time i came back down the street i was committed to putting the rest of the exhaust back on.