Server maintenance Read more... ×
SPArKy_Dave

WARNING Please Read! CHEAP PARTS = DANGER

Clint, 

I can tell you that Wasp Units are very good, and i highly recommend them. My xf, the whole front end (ball joints, tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm etc etc) is all Wasp, and my bushes are all Nolathane. The car has done i think about 60-80,000kms with all that in there, as a daily driver until the start of this year, and not a problem. everything is straight, tight and still works. the only thing i had to replace was the idler arm for roady because the urethane bush at one end split. i put the identical unit back in, and its been fine since. 

I have taken the car to Adelaide from melbourne with that suspension in it a few times now, and its all still straight. so, i rate the Wasp stuff pretty highly. 

Back to the ebay packages... this is the reply i got back from the seller i listed above for anyone interested.

Clint. All except the idler arm are Wasp units.

Idler is a Roadsafe one as Wasp do not do them in the standard form.

Ours are all good units. Nothing cheap and chinese about these.

I have sold them for over 30 years ..

Cheers

Rob Mills

Ringwood Auto Parts

PO Box 230

Hurstbridge

Victoria 3099

Australia

Phone 03 9714 8196

0408 104894

Fax 03 8692 6942

Noobs, i bought a kit from this seller on evil bay for Goldie and you described what i got, all WASP brand stuff except 

for the road safe product. 

Cant get the stuff through Repco in TRW  or Transteering brands so i bought the wasp kit off Rob on ebay.

Well I am just about to buy these parts for my car. So I will be doing sprints and motorkana style events so I need parts that are not going to wear out fast or fail. As Deandx said in post 18 on the first page what do historic race cars use? They cant all use heim/rose joints and they are not legal on the road. What do speedway guys use?

Are TRW the best you can get or is it a case of one brand make the better tie rod ends but anther company make the best idler arm and so.

Wasp and the Japanese Made 555 (when you can find 555) seem to be some of the better ones.

Repco seem to bring in the TRW components, but they're not the original factory fitted TRW.

There is also a US brand called MOOG, which they seem to like in the states.

Can't comment on the durability though.

Yeah TRW is now a repco exclusive brand, and aren't greaseable.

Burson sell Road safe, which is greaseable. You can also get Protek, it's also greaseable.

My ute has Protek in it, have it for 3 years now and the front suspension was the first thing replaced, I've done over 50,000kms (lost count with odo swaps haha) and it's all still in good condition. Idler arm and pitman are road safe though, and they're still good.

Wagon has TRW from Repco in it, but it's only just a year to a year and a half old and it's done max of 10,000kms so I can't comment too much on how well it last but they're holding up so far.

Cheers guys. Yeah my wagon has TRW from repco but I haven't even covered 10,000km's yet. They did look ok but they all look pretty good when they are new and shiny

My XF has a mix of TRW and Roadsafe and the XD has TRW. The upper balljoints in the XF need replacing and they are Roadsafe ones, going to fit TRW balljoints. My mate brandon's step father Gary bought Wasp parts for brandons mums HZ Holden ute.

Yeah TRW is now a repco exclusive brand, and aren't greaseable.

Burson sell Road safe, which is greaseable. You can also get Protek, it's also greaseable.

My ute has Protek in it, have it for 3 years now and the front suspension was the first thing replaced, I've done over 50,000kms (lost count with odo swaps haha) and it's all still in good condition. Idler arm and pitman are road safe though, and they're still good.

Wagon has TRW from Repco in it, but it's only just a year to a year and a half old and it's done max of 10,000kms so I can't comment too much on how well it last but they're holding up so far.

so you are saying your idler arm has done 50,000kms and is still good? what sort is it?  none of mine lasted a year(40,000kms) regardless of brand/type

so you are saying your idler arm has done 50,000kms and is still good? what sort is it?  none of mine lasted a year(40,000kms) regardless of brand/type

Actually thinking about it the idler arm is Nolathane (or the bushes are). I've not replaced it myself come to think of it I think I greased it up as it was squeaking once that would be all.

I was looking around and noticed Superpro do an idler arm with rubber one end and neoprene the other. Shopping around I found it for $59 GSL Rallysport but never saw it over $70.

Probably the best thread to ask this,

What brand of ball joints allow the most movement before they bind?

Thinking I might have to bite the bullet and just redo everything in the front end of mine.

Probably the best thread to ask this,

What brand of ball joints allow the most movement before they bind?

Thinking I might have to bite the bullet and just redo everything in the front end of mine.

there was a thread on it somewhere..

might pay to have a look here for ball joint wedges http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/325-diy-uca-shelby-drop-journal-xd-xe-xf/

mention of it in this thread also.. http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/4901-hitting-bump-stops/

Sparky Dave may know off the top of his head..