unfamilia

stripped water pump thread

Well I tried a longer bolt and it seems to be holding in with 3 or 4 threads so far. If this fails will install keysert.

Another dodge fix a back yarder told me was as I have drilled and tapped to a larger hole is to get a long bolt and put a nut inside the water chamber and use it like a stud. Then another nut in the larger tapped hole. This will allow pump to be held in and the alt bracket to slip over it.

He reckons he did it years ago and worked fine.

Might be an option if keysert tap doesnt take well.

Well the longer bolt almost worked. Yes almost. Pin hole weep from seal. Tried to just lightly tighten 1/4 of a turn and yep striped. Wasnt even tight. So out it comes again and keysert goes in. Crap!!! Should have just done it the other day but thought the longer bolt was ok.

As i said, not as easy as it seems to do a good tap job

Firstly as said need to use the right drill bit

Also you need to use cutting oil (not any lube) and need to know when to pull the tap out to clean and go again

Sharpness of the tap is another variable

Its a bit of an art form which im not good at myself

Helicoil seems to be the last resort

Also you will find when drilling most holes it will open up to .1mm bigger than than size your drilling... Even more so if your using a portable/cordless drill... So for M10 tap I would use an 8.4mm drill.

Probably too late now, but food for thought...

Never too late.

20140310_160605.jpg

I drilled it to 10mm as the resert steve sent me wouldnt tap right into that hole and I didnt have a 13mm drill bit for next size up.

The keyert needed a 10.8mm drill bit so I figured with the cordless same as what you said it would be slightly larger than 10mm. The 12x1.25 tap made a beautiful thread (mental note buy a set of these shit hot taps and use motor oil more often to tap holes then the tapping lube).

Screwed in keysert and tapped the prongs in with a mallet (put mallet face on the prongs and then tapped with a hammer).

Wait 24hours for silicon to cure and we will see if this mofo leaks again.

On the plus side I got it down to a 2.5hour procedure now too lol

I just love it when someone can spend 2.5 hours and say they have saved heaps. If I charged that on a thread fix in my machine shop, I would be told to shove it!!

Yeah I know what you mean there. I apologise to all professionals that I gave it a go instead of paying lol.

No the thread fix was a 15minute job. The rest of the time is removing radiator fan fanbelts alternator detaching aircon pulley and all associated bracketry. All cause the factory bracket doesnt allow waterpump removal without doing all that by 15mm clearance. Stupid bracket.

Well I got the procedure down from 6hours almost to 2.5hours. To me thats a saving in time. Dont count it took me 7 times so all those hours I wasted of my life I didn't save anything but I learnta butt load of stuff. On my falcon

Also like my neighbors hate xd falcons that dont go anywhere.

You know a little trick we used to use at Ford, was leave the alt and A/C bracketry in place and lever the old water pump out, then cut the 1/4 inch off that top bolt hole that goes behind the bracket, water pump slides in neat as, then silicon the 1/4 inch washer back in and bobs your uncle, never had one back, done hundreds that way.  Takes the time down to less than an hour start to finish.

So cut the 1/4 inch washer off hey. Need to cut the pump housing at all?

Such a pita as it is now. Hope I never have to do again.

Done hundreds that way lol. Makes me feel like I could be doing it again