Server maintenance Read more... ×
Banno

Exhaust Manifold bolts

If you're using headers with a thinner flange compared to the stock manifold, make sure you use shorter bolts of they'll bottom out before clamping the header flange onto the head. I got a pack of header bolts from rarespares 

From memory they are 3/8 UNC, try national nuts and bolts on fyans st in sth geelong.

Thanks mate, Went in today and they helped with what I wanted. Extractors are in and done now. Cheers

sorry for the hijack, is it a bad idea to run spring washers? i just stripped a header bolt hole. 

Don't know if its a bad idea. But a heli-coil be only thing now to fix a stripped hole

Auto shops usually sell the bolts behind the counter as "extractor bolts".

Spring washer will lose all its tension with the heating/cooling cycles of the engine. Don't reckon they ran them from the factory.

Mind you, Clevo's never came out with an exhaust manifold gasket, just metal to metal, so I could be wrong.

Also, I drink a lot........... :ph34r:

Get some long bolts, wind them in till they bottom with some red high temp loctite then cut the heads off and now you have studs. Studs = 100x better then the bolts and it will cost a fraction of getting an actual stud kit.

Spring washer should be okay, What temperature does spring metal soften at? I do not think the flange of the manifold will get that hot?

Don't over tighten, Torque the bolts/studs. It's alloy it's soft and will expand at a different rate to the 8.8 grade steel bolts so it's best to obey the torque settings.

the spring washers were all flat when i took them off so i guess they're useless anyway

I tightened them to 30 NM but it felt a little excessive, on the last bolt ripped the thread from the head. Next time im going to dial it back to 20-25NM

hey mate, call ron from kustom bitz  0407818511 he has bolt kits to suit lots of makes and models, they are cheap and cheap postage to, they also have a website hope this helps 

never thought of the brass nuts - good idea. they use them on turbo stuff from memory.  mind you I've only ever used extractor bolts, cut to size, and never had an issue.  I ordered a set of ARP header studs for the roller cam motor just the other day but that was more for show than anything else. 

Guest Kode

Does anyone no the sizes of the exhaust manifold bolts for a bf xr6?? Thans

Sorry dont know about the later model stuff, but would be metric.

On a side note I used a 3/8 UNC tap to chase the thread out on my roller cam motor head and when I did it I actually removed metal from the holes. The only explaination for this is the head thread from standard is BSW and the bolt is UNC (I have used a thread pitch gauge to confirm bolt is UNC). If you look at a thread pitch chart the 3/8 UNC and BSW only has a 5 degree thread angle differenc. It has been mentioned else where on this site that by using the different pitch on 3/8 stuff it works as a mechanical lock, fitters that I have spoken to seem to agree with this thought.

Sorry dont know about the later model stuff, but would be metric.

On a side note I used a 3/8 UNC tap to chase the thread out on my roller cam motor head and when I did it I actually removed metal from the holes. The only explaination for this is the head thread from standard is BSW and the bolt is UNC (I have used a thread pitch gauge to confirm bolt is UNC). If you look at a thread pitch chart the 3/8 UNC and BSW only has a 5 degree thread angle differenc. It has been mentioned else where on this site that by using the different pitch on 3/8 stuff it works as a mechanical lock, fitters that I have spoken to seem to agree with this thought.

That is actually a sound theory, but it could also change slightly during use due to heat