Outback Jack

XG Outback ute - Dual Fuel tank wiring and plumbing guide.

I was running my Ute around, did about 200km, was wondering why fuel guage wasn't going down, flicked tank switch, almost half a tank gone in tank 1, had me buggered, other tank was almost still full besides slop over.

So I am reading the wrong tank, this straight away told me there was a wiring problem, but I'd checked EVERYTHING in the back near the tanks.... time to head forward.

The tank on the passenger side IS the main tank , just the same as a standard Longreach(Tank-switch position 1) , the auxiluary tank (Tank-switch position 2) is on the drivers side.
I thought I was going crazy..... lol

It all came down to relay wiring for the tank selector...... on mine, from the factory......it's backwards...... lol
I know its a factory error because the wiring has been loomed with the wires made those lengths.
Takes a little fiddling after ya finish fixing it to loom it up nicely because of the differing lengths... i forgot pics...soz

If you check the 2 relays for the tank selector in the drivers side kick panel with the wiring diagrams below , it makes sense.
I actually had to change over 2 wires from each relay to the opposite relay.

The two offender are the black/white stripe wire, and the pink wire on the other relay, swap em over, tank reads and feeds from the correct tank.

........Oh and make sure the plug for the back of the tank switch are Red/Yellow on outside and Red on inside.

P1080079_zps622be93c.jpg

Here's some pics and wiring diagrams to make it a bit easier mate.........

The Outback dual tank wiring schematic.....

P1080080_zpsabca1e59.jpg

The Outback Fuel selector relay section and wiring codes.

P1080082_zps821bd7a9.jpg

PLEASE NOTE...... The wiring for socket is looking at it from the top of the relay, with relay out of the socket!
And these diagrams are the CORRECT way it should be wired.

The Relay pin on both relays is the left one. Relay one should be pink (mine was black/white), and Relay 2 should be Black/White(mine was pink).

It's easy to tell relay 1 from 2..... relay one has pink and black wires running to the centre pin, on relay 2 it is black.

Wiring corrected on Relay 1.......
P1080083_zps099bba14.jpg

Wiring corrected on Relay 2........
P1080084_zps1b5f5375.jpg

Here is the wiring for the front of the Outback......

P1080093_zpsef7536af.jpg

Here is a simplified version of the wiring for the fuel tank set up........

P1080092_zps199c28e2.jpg

The Brass T piece that is inserted as a common fuel delivery line wasn't doing it for me, that nice valve sitting there.. just doing nothing.... shits me....

Also I want the selector valve to hold the pressure while ute sits around to rest on one pump, not two pumps, and I like you Demmo, think there is some funky siphoning effect happening when the brass T-piece is used.

The connections for the fuel tanks to selector valve and onto the motor are as so........

P1080095_zps92078423.jpg

P1080096_zps35c2eeb3.jpg

Here is a couple of pictures to compare, please note return lines go on Top smaller lugs, and fuel supply lines go to the Bottom lugs.......  Aux on Drivers Side (as pictured) Main Tank on Passenger side (as pictured)........

P1080088_zpsaa5dd225.jpg

I have also used the "L" shaped adapter filters on the pumps as it lets them get deeper in the slop can, so you get all your fuel.

Check the sender assemblies, the more horizontal of the two pump holders goes in the Aux Tank (Drivers side), the more vertical one goes in the Main Tank (Passenger side).

Ok mate, that should make it piss easy. The valve shuts off the tank not selected on the dash switch, I am reading the correct level for each tank, when switched.

Position 1- Main tank. Position 2 (out) Aux Tank. While you have the tank cover off , put ya ear to the tank while car is running on selected tank and make sure they are switching properly........ then bolt it all back up and it's Beer 'O'Clock...... hehe..... rest tomorrow.....

Please note, the slop over from tank to tank on these models is quite bad when cornering hard, so if ya lose fuel from the Aux to the Main tank, it's normal. I will try and find a way to prevent this later.

Ford On!

Jack.

No Wukking Furries Wazza.

My pleasure.

I dunno how much I helped but if ya have any more probs hit me up and we'll get to bottom of it.... eventually.... hahaha.

Once its all running sweet you'll love it.

Guy probably ran it a lot on gas system too.... so maybe new fuel might help too.

Good to meet another late model XG Outback owner.

Only met one other...

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Hey mate,

the tank on the drivers side is a lot shallow for the car I pulled my twin system out I’ve still got it sitting on a shelf in my garage and I’m yet to still install it. I tried to chase the wires as close to the dash as I could but in the end I had to cut them. I can see this being an issue now. Any suggestions on where I can take it for someone to connect it all up.

Hey mate,

the tank on the drivers side is a lot shallow for the car I pulled my twin system out I’ve still got it sitting on a shelf in my garage and I’m yet to still install it. I tried to chase the wires as close to the dash as I could but in the end I had to cut them. I can see this being an issue now. Any suggestions on where I can take it for someone to connect it all up.
Hey mate Jack hasn't been on here a bit any sparky should be able to wire it in for u. That is correct bout the outback tanks with one being smaller, if u are not after the factory look u can do a set up like mine which u can find bits on in my thread 1980 xd panelvan

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

On 2/22/2014 at 10:51 AM, Outback Jack said:

I was running my Ute around, did about 200km, was wondering why fuel guage wasn't going down, flicked tank switch, almost half a tank gone in tank 1, had me buggered, other tank was almost still full besides slop over.

So I am reading the wrong tank, this straight away told me there was a wiring problem, but I'd checked EVERYTHING in the back near the tanks.... time to head forward.

The tank on the passenger side IS the main tank , just the same as a standard Longreach(Tank-switch position 1) , the auxiluary tank (Tank-switch position 2) is on the drivers side.
I thought I was going crazy..... lol

It all came down to relay wiring for the tank selector...... on mine, from the factory......it's backwards...... lol
I know its a factory error because the wiring has been loomed with the wires made those lengths.
Takes a little fiddling after ya finish fixing it to loom it up nicely because of the differing lengths... i forgot pics...soz

If you check the 2 relays for the tank selector in the drivers side kick panel with the wiring diagrams below , it makes sense.
I actually had to change over 2 wires from each relay to the opposite relay.

The two offender are the black/white stripe wire, and the pink wire on the other relay, swap em over, tank reads and feeds from the correct tank.

........Oh and make sure the plug for the back of the tank switch are Red/Yellow on outside and Red on inside.

P1080079_zps622be93c.jpg

Here's some pics and wiring diagrams to make it a bit easier mate.........

The Outback dual tank wiring schematic.....

P1080080_zpsabca1e59.jpg

The Outback Fuel selector relay section and wiring codes.

P1080082_zps821bd7a9.jpg

PLEASE NOTE...... The wiring for socket is looking at it from the top of the relay, with relay out of the socket!
And these diagrams are the CORRECT way it should be wired.

The Relay pin on both relays is the left one. Relay one should be pink (mine was black/white), and Relay 2 should be Black/White(mine was pink).

It's easy to tell relay 1 from 2..... relay one has pink and black wires running to the centre pin, on relay 2 it is black.

Wiring corrected on Relay 1.......
P1080083_zps099bba14.jpg

Wiring corrected on Relay 2........
P1080084_zps1b5f5375.jpg

Here is the wiring for the front of the Outback......

P1080093_zpsef7536af.jpg

Here is a simplified version of the wiring for the fuel tank set up........

P1080092_zps199c28e2.jpg

The Brass T piece that is inserted as a common fuel delivery line wasn't doing it for me, that nice valve sitting there.. just doing nothing.... shits me....

Also I want the selector valve to hold the pressure while ute sits around to rest on one pump, not two pumps, and I like you Demmo, think there is some funky siphoning effect happening when the brass T-piece is used.

The connections for the fuel tanks to selector valve and onto the motor are as so........

P1080095_zps92078423.jpg

P1080096_zps35c2eeb3.jpg

Here is a couple of pictures to compare, please note return lines go on Top smaller lugs, and fuel supply lines go to the Bottom lugs.......  Aux on Drivers Side (as pictured) Main Tank on Passenger side (as pictured)........

P1080088_zpsaa5dd225.jpg

I have also used the "L" shaped adapter filters on the pumps as it lets them get deeper in the slop can, so you get all your fuel.

Check the sender assemblies, the more horizontal of the two pump holders goes in the Aux Tank (Drivers side), the more vertical one goes in the Main Tank (Passenger side).

Ok mate, that should make it piss easy. The valve shuts off the tank not selected on the dash switch, I am reading the correct level for each tank, when switched.

Position 1- Main tank. Position 2 (out) Aux Tank. While you have the tank cover off , put ya ear to the tank while car is running on selected tank and make sure they are switching properly........ then bolt it all back up and it's Beer 'O'Clock...... hehe..... rest tomorrow.....

Please note, the slop over from tank to tank on these models is quite bad when cornering hard, so if ya lose fuel from the Aux to the Main tank, it's normal. I will try and find a way to prevent this later.

Ford On!

Jack.

Hi Outback Jack. Is it possible to get these fantastic photos in another format than Photobucket that are easier to read? I know they will answer all  my questions but I cant follow them in this format.Thanks for your help.

XG Ian

Hi Outback Jack. Is it possible to get these fantastic photos in another format than Photobucket that are easier to read? I know they will answer all  my questions but I cant follow them in this format.Thanks for your help.

XG Ian