MNTL.XD

MENTAL XD - The build.

Well, the new filler is a bitch to sand in comparison to the stuff i was using but i got through it, however has left alot of small pinholes everywhere...
What's the best way to address this, i thin skim of filler or will the surfacer/sealer be adequate? I don't want problems down the track so am leaning toward a thin skim of filler. 1181b602888a82fd37e7a0f9edb2e21a.jpgbd1df562f938e6afcde51f0666188e08.jpgb2d51d1157855b6e4e5e42de57243e30.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sucks it didn't sand well, the pinholes do suggest that you might have overdone the hardener a bit. Too much hardener can make it overly difficult to sand too but maybe that brand filler is just not that good?

Couple of ways to go. Mix up some more filler with less hardener and draw it in real tight to jam it into the pinholes as you go. Only need a 1-2mm skim. Once set, start sanding before its gone to concrete mode. If you have some dolphin glaze filler, mix a bit of that into the other filler before mixing the hardener in, this'll thin it out and help it flow out on the panel better.

Or go with hi fill. Reduced a bit more so it will fall into the pinholes, put on a couple of wet coats with enough depth to let the air bubbles rise out to the top. If you have a way to vibrate the panel that'll help too. Once dry just block as per normal, then find the holes that didn't fill up and fine fill them or dab hi fill into them before your next coat. Same process if you're using a sanding sealer before hi fill.

Yeah, far too many pinholes James, they're everywhere.
Thanks Rod, i'll go a light skim over the lot and block again, and again if i have to, with a bit less hardener this time. lol. If there's any left after that i'll thin the sealer/surfacer down and finish it off with that.
Thanks guys.

Be careful how you mix it too, I'm guessing it's a bit different to the other stuff you used. The euro fillers don't like being "whipped" if you get what i mean.
Yeah mate, i get what you mean, i'll mixed it a bit slower and more controlled, see if it helps. Thanks mate.

Hope it helps. I know I had fun adjusting to the 3m at the beginning and then again when they changed the tubes on me.
Do you have to use the tubes each filler came with, or could i use the blue tubes, any idea? I've got a few blue tubes laying around, both tube types (blue & red) are Benzoyl Peroxide but neither say what percentages or any details of any other ingredients or their percentages.

A bit of a tip we learned at TAFE: to fill small areas with minimal mess and fuss, they used straight, unthinned spray putty on a small disposable paint roller. This allowed a controlled application without needing all the other shit like masking, thinning, washing up guns, all the waste associated with it too. Only drawbacks are shrinkage and drying time. You'd probably want to wait a good day or so before sanding too, weather permitting.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

This might help with the filler, ratios on the 3m platinum can..
5210ab75d48fc90bb5d875e6c3d319a5.jpg6f06f58b54deb6b55e9bad479419fdbc.jpg
If you can't read that clearly, basically says for 50g (75mm dollop of filler) @25* ambient temp, a line of hardener 40mm long. That was based on the older big tubes, the smaller ones would probably be double for the small hole size they have.

It's a shame you made it good for someone else. I hope they appreciated it in that condition

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

That's ok, i've never really done repairs like that before so was good to learn a bit as i went.

This might help with the filler, ratios on the 3m platinum can..
5210ab75d48fc90bb5d875e6c3d319a5.jpg6f06f58b54deb6b55e9bad479419fdbc.jpg
If you can't read that clearly, basically says for 50g (75mm dollop of filler) @25* ambient temp, a line of hardener 40mm long. That was based on the older big tubes, the smaller ones would probably be double for the small hole size they have.
Thanks Rod. Each time i added the hardener i went by feel, but then by eye it didn't look right so added a bit more. I just won't put that extra bit in and trust my instincts next shot. lol. No doubt i'll get used to these small tubes and they'll change them back. lol

Nice work on those rust repairs on the red XE. I like how accurately you replicated that corner section around the tail light.

So you didn't have that XE long. What was the story with it? Apologies if I've missed it, went back through this thread but didn't see much else about it.

Nice work on those rust repairs on the red XE. I like how accurately you replicated that corner section around the tail light.

So you didn't have that XE long. What was the story with it? Apologies if I've missed it, went back through this thread but didn't see much else about it.
Thanks mate, the rust repairs were a bit tricky to make with very limited tools but i got by.
I bought the red XE with no real intentions of keeping it or building it, just to work on and possibly make a bit of money on but in the end sold it for $500 less than i paid for it even after the work i'd done on it. Will just put it down to a loss of cash but a gain in experience, we live and learn. I have my nieces wedding in a month up in QLD and i'm taking the kids so needed a couple of thousand for that trip so decided to get it done and sold as quick as possible.

In other (awesome) news guys, I got a phone call today and have been approved for the nerve stimulator operation. Apparently this will mean a couple of months rest so the XD will need to be put on hold again, which sucks a bit BUT will hopefully give me a better quality of life and be able to re-enter the workforce which is my ultimate goal, and to hopefully be able to work on the XD without constantly being put in pain for days afterwards so will all be worth it. As you know building this car is my passion, my hobby, just like you guys and to be able to do it again without restriction will mean the world to me.
When I had the trial operation done I slept through the night 3 nights in a row which was the first time in around 9 years that has happened so it's a huge deal for me in alot of ways. The operation won't be for a couple of months and with wires going up beside my spinal chord and into my neck it's important I take it easy afterwards but really looking forward to a new lease on life.
I'll still try to get as much done as I can handle on the XD between now and then and keep the updates going, I'm just on a high tonight and thought I'd share the good news with you guys that have been with me throughout the last few years of this build and have seen me struggle a bit with it.
Cheers boys!!

good to hear the health system still has the ability to help people! 
great news for you if it works out, you deserve a win. 

i got a call today also regarding my neurological issue i had last year, more tests in a month(wonder if their test is.. if he dies, we saved money?)

can't see them going anywhere, been ok for a few months with no explanation of why it all went to shit and why it came "good"(good enough not to stress anymore)