MNTL.XD

MENTAL XD - The build.

1,334 posts in this topic

Hey legends!! This thread is a little bit photo heavy, but i'm sure you won't mind!!   :)  The building of MNTL.XD came about in the usual way, it was supposed to be off the road for a week or so for a quick backyard re-spray, once stripped, it was decided the shell was in too poor condition to bother repairing, but fortunately all panels were excellent, so we started looking for a better shell to spray, $400 was handed over for a perfect XD Fairmont Ghia shell from the local wrecker, it had no wiring, no glass, no panels..... nothing.... but more importantly, no rust and was dead straight. All panels were swapped onto the new shell, and a little under 200 dimples removed from the engine bay, all panels on the top side of the engine bay were joined for a smoother look, twin bonnet struts were added for a more even look, the antenna hole welded, the exhaust exit on the rear stone tray deleted, and an XE Fairmont bumper bolted up for a neater look as i never liked the large gap the XD bumpers had at the top. (The XE bumpers have an extra plastic strip that fills the gap.) Then it was sent in for a respray in a Hyundai colour - Lobelia Indigo Mica pearl.

The way things were.

SCAN0022-1.jpgSCAN0001.jpg
SCAN0023-1.jpg
SCAN0040.jpg
KRUPTOR likes this

We finally got it home and started putting it together, but everything we tried to put in looked like shit against the new paint, and this is where we started having to paint polish or replace every little bit that went in, we bought a cheap XF so we could still get around while we put it back together, now that it was going to take a little longer than anticipated.

SCAN0015-1.jpg

SCAN0095.jpg

SCAN0094.jpg

SCAN0085.jpg

SCAN0082.jpg

SCAN0062.jpg

SCAN0051.jpg

SCAN0035.jpg

SCAN0020-1.jpg

SCAN0019-1.jpg

SCAN0018-1.jpg

SCAN0016-1.jpg

SCAN0010-1.jpg

SCAN0014-1.jpg

SCAN0017-1.jpg

SCAN0012-1.jpg

SCAN0013-1.jpg

SCAN0011-1.jpg

Unfortunately, we really didn't take any pics while it was going together, which is a bit of a shame.   :(  

When it was first put back together it was wearing a new set of pro-stars and orange indicators.

SCAN0057.jpg

SCAN0056.jpg

SCAN0055.jpg

SCAN0046.jpg

SCAN0043.jpg

SCAN0031.jpg

SCAN0027.jpg

SCAN0026.jpg

SCAN0025.jpg

SCAN0060.jpg

SCAN0061.jpg

SCAN0092.jpg

SCAN0058.jpg

SCAN0049.jpg

SCAN0009-1.jpg

This is when we fitted the billits, the prostars didn't do it for me.

SCAN0070.jpg

SCAN0071.jpg

Took it out the silos for a few photos, only a week later a worker fell to his death in these silos.   :(

SCAN0072.jpg

SCAN0068.jpg

SCAN0067.jpg

SCAN0066.jpg

SCAN0065.jpg

SCAN0064.jpg

SCAN0063.jpg

I love tyre smoke, look at the size of my smile!!   :D

SCAN0059.jpg

Taking it for it's first run after rego, loving life!! The idea behind the MNTL.XD number plates: The original idea came from a local lad i went to school with who had MNTL.LH on his Torana, my best mate got MNTL.XY on his neat XY Fairmont, and i got MNTL.XD for mine, simple really.

SCAN0003.jpg

SCAN0090.jpg

SCAN0030.jpg

SCAN0006-1.jpg

X-Taxi likes this

We then fitted clear indicators front and rear for a more modern look, i like them much more than the standard orange.

P1000951-1.jpg

SCAN0076.jpg

Engine bay shot, probably should've washed it first.

SCAN0048.jpg

SCAN0007-1.jpg

Underneath, will be getting re-done in the near future for obvious reasons.

SCAN0041.jpg

MNTLXD.jpg

P1000946.jpg

P1000947.jpg

P1000951.jpg

P1000962.jpg

P1000963.jpg

P1000967.jpg

Here's a couple of shots i took about 30 minutes before killing the motor...... oops!!   :rolleyes:

SCAN0091.jpg

SCAN0088.jpg

SCAN0074.jpg

SCAN0029.jpg

Stevemack and BTTB like this

These were taken very recently, notice the height of the engine-less front end.

XBPROJECT132.jpg

XBPROJECT131.jpg

XBPROJECT130.jpg

XBPROJECT129.jpg

XBPROJECT128.jpg

XBPROJECT133.jpg

A few things have been happening with MNTL.XD lately, the missus and i have finally decided to get married this year after 17 years of being together, and wanting to have the XD in our wedding, i have been told to get it finished by October. The first thing to be done is get a new engine built, so after finding a decent block, i sent it in to get built including 351 crank, 302 rods, fully balanced, Crow cam installed and setup, the 2V heads have new 2V inlet valves and new 4V exhaust valves fitted, as well as new springs, retainers, collets etc. I got the standard Bosch dizzy graphed to suit the cam, a new module and vac advance fitted, threw the 40 amp alternator in favour of a new 85amp Bosch unit, new water pump, new 750 D/P Holley, new balancer and a heap of other smaller stuff. While the engine is out i will also be fitting a new manual steering box as the one in it is old and sloppy, and a new master cylinder and booster will also be fitted, i'll try to upload photos as i go... Cheers, Paul.

motor026.jpg

motor036.jpg

motor041.jpg

motor038.jpg

A pic of carby and manifold to go on it.

motor006.jpg

X-Taxi and BTTB like this

Well things are progressing slowly, a bit difficult with the old man stealing half my shed while he moves house, crap everywhere at the moment, can barely move, looks like North Korea went ahead and fired a missile toward the U.S.A, and stuffed up like usual and hit my shed instead!! Here's a photo of it with the manifold and carby just sitting on for shits and giggles, while i'm waiting on the bolts i've ordered. Anyhoo, enough shit spinnin', just look at the bloody photo.

motor044.jpg

Still got the other extractor to do, was just getting too damn sore!! This crook shoulder is really getting to me, can still sorta do bits and pieces, but stuffs me for hours afterwards, seems to be 1 hour work needs 2 hours of rest!! Might just need a cup of cement.  :(

With the engine pretty much done, it was time to clean up the wiring a bit, i sorta half arsed it last time just to get everything working, so just needed to be sorted out a bit. 

Looked a bit average:

**** Edit: ^^ Famous last words, this is where the build started to get a bit out of hand!! ^^ ****

motor055.jpg

Mmmm yum, spaghetti.

motor056-1.jpg

Sorting with zip-ties.

motor057.jpg

Covering with electrical tape once sorted.

motor058.jpg

Most of the convulated tubing done along with a couple of little brackets to hold it in place.

motor059.jpg

But i couldn't look at that suspension and steering looking like that any longer, it was done about 8 years ago and is really starting to show it's age. With the engine still out i thought it'd be a good time to fit a new master cylinder and steering box, so i may as well get into it a bit and give the rest a tickle.

Edit: **** ^^ Understatement of the year!! ^^ "give the rest a tickle".... Yeah right!! ****

motor060.jpg

motor061.jpg

More pics soon as i go.

Pulled it apart a bit more, still lots more to do yet.

motor062.jpg

... and cleaning a few bits up for when they go back in.

motor064.jpg

motor063.jpg

Problem is, i never wanted to go to the trouble of having polished bolts n' stuff under the car, but it's much quicker to clean them up with the polisher than to paint them... i just don't want this to get out of hand!!  :huh:

motor065.jpg

Thom likes this

"Problem is, i never wanted to go to the trouble of having polished bolts n' stuff under the car, but it's much quicker to clean them up with the polisher than to paint them... i just don't want this to get out of hand!!   :huh:"

Yeah good luck with that one Paul. Once the bug bites your screwed!

MNTL.XD likes this

the trick with painting anything plastic is to use a propper brand of plastic primer and not to flood it on and one good coat is plenty ,then to your colour add elastic to the colour and it will hold fast,

Huh? There's no plastic under the car champ, all steel, alloy and Nolathane. Unless you're relating to the fuel tank? That has to be re-done, i don't remember if i used a proper plastic primer on that as the underneath of the car was done 8 years ago, definitely doesn't look like i did, since then i have learnt exactly what you said, which will be implemented in the next few weeks/months, the tank looks horrible!!! 

Steering and suspension removed completely now.

motor070.jpg

motor069.jpg

It's been far too cold for prep and paint of parts, and the sand pit will need to dry back out, so i've just been polishing nuts, bolts, washers etc. Here's a pic of them so far.

motor.jpg

Ants, hendrixhc and TUFFZJ like this