gerg

Tips using regular household products

During my apprenticeship I was placed in a diesel engine reco shop and picked up a handy tip for putting on press-fitted engine parts:

Take a deep-fryer, fill it with engine oil, turn up to max. Place required part in it (say a timing gear) and wait for 15 minutes. Grab with tongs/pliers and just slip it on, being careful not to splash yourself... It's several hundred degrees. The oil acts as both a lube and a heating medium for the part you're installing it on (ie a crank snout). It will grab pretty quickly (within seconds) as both parts equalise. Then it's done!

Also on the mag wheel cleaner don't use it on your windscreen cause it'll show up very light scratches that you can't see from the wiper blade wear. And yes it is acid based so needs to be thoroughly rinsed with water.

I used half a cup of soluble oil (for machining), when the car radiator got a bit crappy. Leave it in for a day and then flush the system out and all the muddy crap would come out with it. I'm talking older cars here, leaves the cast iron and radiator like new. Looks like milk when added to water. It was free for me also as Dad had an engineering company.

Cheers - Steve

Good old vinegar is another excellent glass cleaner, using scrunched up bits of newspaper

Some of the new types of paper are crap for doing windows now, if your'e in a country town you'll find some of the smaller newspapers use a lower quality paper and I find them the best for cleaning glass.

Old-school diesels used to use that as coolant all the time, as they'd never reach boiling point to need an anti-boil function like glycol has. Anti freeze same thing: not cold enough mostly here in Aus

At a pinch, without rubber grease available, I've used canola cooking spray to help slip on rubber hoses that were a little tight. It works well as a light-duty, general assembly lube.

Not exactly household but anyway... When spray-painting parts, you might get a paint that needs like five coats to get proper coverage, a classic is gloss yellow over cast iron, where the edges thin out and go dark. I like to put down some silver frost as a sort of primer as it has high solids content, is bright instead of dark and dries very quickly. The rough finish gives the gloss something to grab and you might only need one or two coats instead of five. Won't run as easily either.