gerg

Tips using regular household products

Thought I'd start a thread to share some tips on maintenance/cleaning of automotive bits using stuff you can get your hands on easily and cheaply.

I'll start with mine:

• Boil alloy carbies for 30 min or so in vinegar/lemon juice and water mixed 1:3 to remove carbon and (most) corrosion.

• Common fix for fouled oxygen sensors: soak in lemon juice overnight to de-carbonise.

• Using electrolysis, you can revive small heavily rusted parts by immersing them in washing soda/water solution and applying +12v to a sacrificial steel/iron anode and - to the work. Amazing results...

Shows rusty nuts seized onto bolts that were buried underground for years, when finished you can run the nut up and down the bolt no probs.

• apparently "pine sol" is brilliant for soaking carbies in for a day or two. Not sure where to get it from in Aus but in the US it's an age-old trick in bike circles to clean up grungy alloy bits.

• my pop told me of an alternative to fish oil: use vegetable oil as it leaves a gummy, non-drying film behind. I'd possibly use a mix of both.

• Small rust spots on a chrome bumper: rub a cut lemon over the affected area.

when youve bought a car thats been sitting for years i give them a clean with warm water and OMO to remove the build up of oxidation etc

when youve bought a car thats been sitting for years i give them a clean with warm water and OMO to remove the build up of oxidation etc

Just need to make sure it's all washed off completely afterwards... Washing powders often contain salt

gerg top thread buddy, but ...

For emergency cleaning of greasy hands to touch the missus : laundry detergent

^^ this... Spot on :lol: emergency cleaning to go for a grab  :D

Vaseline on the battery terminals improves conductivity and helps prevent oxidation (the build up of that white crap).

I bought an eb a couple of years back with vaso slathered on the terminals and all the radiator hose ends, even the towbar, missus said it seemed abit suss on the towbar, I laughed me arse off when she said that.

We've always used the liquid non-caustic ovencleaner to clean up the engine bays, works a treat

I bought an eb a couple of years back with vaso slathered on the terminals and all the radiator hose ends, even the towbar, missus said it seemed abit suss on the towbar, I laughed me arse off when she said that.

We've always used the liquid non-caustic ovencleaner to clean up the engine bays, works a treat

I just laughed a fair bit then reading that! Hahaha

Good tips in here.

I use white vinegar to soak dirty metal parts in. Soak them overnight and you can get them reasonably clean with a light scrub.

WD40 works good for cleaning your hands after working on a car. Then finish up with whatever cleaner you usually use.

citric acid is a fantastic degreaser, really helps get into the red dirt from ex mining vehicles or bush trips.

a <10% mix of sulphuric acid [and water] is great for cleaning carbon and crap off steel and alloy rims, just dont leave it on for too long [i used to let it sit for 15 mins max, if it spotted the alloy rims from being on too long id scrub it off and spray it on again lol]

Just read about some methods for brightening up some die-cast (zinc) items, like Holleys and various body mouldings... Smear with tomato paste! I'll be trying it later on my Holley bits

Update: comes out looking like new(ish) gal steel, with the large "grains" of shiny bits you normally see on the surface. Longer time would have made more difference I think.

^i did that to my diff mounts the other week after they had been sitting exposed for a while after being hot tanked. worked a treat getting the surface rust off.

the perfect car wash

in a bucket mix 50-50 of metho and truck wash then fill up with water wash car let soak is a degresser,bug remover etc all in 1

Not harmful to paint in any way? Or takes wax off?

not harmful to paint mate I do $million trains with it also that have grime and crap all over them most bug removers have metho in them anyway as for wax I polish my car each time I wash it so wouldn't know I doubt it

Not sure if its strictly house hold but its in my house hold . LOL.  Easy gleam mag wheel cleaner is awesome to get rid of water stains/ calcium build up on glass. Use it in a spray bottle spray it on and let it sit for 15 or so seconds then hose it off. Stains be gone. If they're really bad you might have to hit em a few times. Won't hurt two pack paint if rinsed quickly but not good on acrylic or enamel. Also need to be careful on anodised finishes cause it can mark them.