Sign in to follow this  
unfamilia

xd crossflow water pump query

Im getting pissed off as ive had to seal my water pump since installing new motor 3 times. The top drivers side bolt leaks slightly. Every time.

Its the only pump I've dealt with that has a plate separating the water pump casting from the block.

I dont have a gasket kit so been trying with goo. Ive only just realised I havent gooed between the plate and the cast pump. Only on the plate and surface to the block.

Is this usual to have to have 2 seals on these things.

Having ac doesnt make it a quick job. Have to remove alt and all the brackets and loosen and move ac compressor. Grrrr

Tips anyone

it should be block - sealant - paper gasket - sealant - plate - paper gasket - water pump. Did you put thread sealer on the bolts?

The top drivers bolt also holds the alternator bracket. Could you have loosened the bolt while moving the bracket to put the alternator back on?

Did you scrape all the old gasket off the block? did you clean the threads of the bolt and the bolt holes?

If you can live without aircon, take it off  and grab the alternator only bracket. Looks a lot cleaner, belt changes are a lot easier 

sounds to me like it is leaking through the threads - get some pipe sealant on those threads - plumbers tape will do the job but its a bit dodge.  I use CAT pipe sealant - bloody great stuff, but any of the other name and non name brands will do. 

I have only ever put a light smear of silicon sealant on the paper gasket to block area.  Never had a leak.  If you are blocking off the heater hose outlet - then tap the thread and put a proper alloy bung in with some pipe sealant on it.  Heaps better than a dodgy rubber bung that was never meant to see heat - like most of them.  This is also a good stealth way to block heaters off for roady - well so some people have told me.

just use whatever you used to seal the water pump to the block. give that a try first. If its not leaking between the pump and the block then leave it. they usually do have a gasket between plate and pump so you might have just not taken notice when you installed it. No point touching it if its not leaking. Replace bolts one by one, not all at the same time

Was the pump from my old motor as the pump in the newer one was leaking from the pressure release hole in the pump. So I dindnt have gaskets only goo.

Will try it later tonight its only from that one spot its got the slight weep leak.

One thing I've learnt over the years is that using secondhand parts might seem cheap at the time but the headaches that come with them definitely outweigh the savings. No offence man but if you can afford the new parts go with them every time. Especially where it's an engine part, fair enough on panels and stuff but more vital engine parts I reckon should be new. Just my opinion

I've got a new pump in Melbourne outer eastern suburbs you can have for 25.

And there's an old mechanics trick to avoid dismantling the whole car to install them.

Ok so water pump was not leaking out the pressure relief hole but I can see the shaft through the hole. Are they usually plugged with wax or something? Is the cavity sealed from the water gallery where the impeller is

20140215_121132.jpg

Just go buy a new water pump.

And get proper water resistant sealant, wherever you get the pump from should have a sealant for water pumps/thermostat housing.

When you install the new pump make sure you've got a decent amount of water out of the block so it's not leaking over the edge and making the face of the block where the gasket goes wet. It should be totally dry for a good seal.