Server maintenance Read more... ×
XFGHIA747

393 clevo exhaust ideas.

From memory the xy gt's had a reduction in pipe diameter over the diff for ease of fitment, the by product of that was a better note so I think you will be fine. 

This is exactly what DeFillipo reckons as well. It was a stuff up but gave the car a note that cannot be improved on.

Cheers guys I think ill go that way then its gonna cost about 1600 so full mandrel so I think thats pretty good,

Nzxd 3in single sounds good man what engine mods are you doing?

The main reason im going twin 3 then twin 2.5 omi is pretty big but in future if I want to put a supercharger on with low psi that exhaust should hold up nicely as the same system im using has been proven on 1000hp + xys so my 550 isn't going to worry it.

Edit: and gerg i really like the DeFillipo systems on the later generation v8s like our ba xr8 utes gtps ect.. they have a very nice crisp note..

to give the idea. just my oppinion ay :)

Yeah that's what i was thinking sounds good until the drone RPM ay hopefully my system doesnt do it, here is my system im thinking well very similar only video i can find if you can here it...

I think that ba/bf Ute sounded a bit "not to my personal liking".

The xy, sounds the ducks nuts, bloody awesome, all comes down to the motor spec, firing order, size etc....

Quick example, I once had an xr8 sprint, had after market exhaust, headers, sounded great, then years later I got an ef xr8, used the same exhaust guy, same diameter, mufflers and headers, sounded shit??? There is only a slight difference in motor spec but it made all the difference.

Sometimes it a bit of trial and error, also what it sounds like to you on the inside, is a bit different for the person following you. Unless its farking loud as hell.

Yeah i completely agree with all that mate iv seen similar things happen also, each car is a different sound to how the pipe is bent, 

like another example with my hz ute for instance i converted a complete vr v6 t5 and exhaust from the vr doesn't sound anything like a commodore what so ever so im rapped :)    

This is my set up for the streets!  3" Mandrel bent pipes from the headers right though to tail the pipe, twin into single Y piece, 1 big Lukey muffler before the diff. $700 bucks the lot installed!! 

10492594_827928097232143_186749920623828

The Redback muffler!

10401653_827928163898803_506995621782351

10550898_827928240565462_513014194413851

Sounds great at idle and good when ya keep the revs low but when I get up her it gives resonating buzz which is a little annoying, but no drone!   The sound changes when I go from my Shaker to air cleaners (which is crazy but true), unfortunately it has better sound without the Shaker on.  The first muffler was a red back straight though and it was horrible!(pic above) The Lukey improved it a fair bit but still has that slight resonating buzz, and it restricted a bit of power! I still I ran 388 rwhp on the dyno with this exhaust!

So that's my street set up but now I'm going to build a side pipe for racing so that will be interesting!  I'm going to kick a 3" pipe after the Y piece (so I don't need to invest in a crossover) out to the side of the car under the passenger back door with a straight through muffler of some type, and set it up both systems so I can bolt and unbolt them for what i'm using the car for.

With the redback muffler and not tuned up!

And with the with the Lukey muffler and tuned up but not dyno tuned!

Makes me want to rip my redback muffler out and jump on it...... lol.

Just an idea.... how about for the track drop the exhaust at the two flanges and run straight side pipes one out each side.... can hot dog em if too loud, bet that will get up and bogey.

Sounds so much better that street set up witj lukey.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Makes me want to rip my redback muffler out and jump on it...... lol.

Just an idea.... how about for the track drop the exhaust at the two flanges and run straight side pipes one out each side.... can hot dog em if too loud, bet that will get up and bogey.

Sounds so much better that street set up witj lukey.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

HA! like the ones in my profile pic ha! :P  :D  You can do that Outback but you get the speed boat effect and sounds weird on a car! I think you get better scavenging effects from the Chi heads and the 4into1s if you run a cross over or using a Y, But your right it would be LOUD and better then the Lukey and still bogey! lol!!!  :D

Single 3" is a bit too restrictive imo, this is only a 380-400Hp Clevo. They sound awesome, however listen when it goes past.

Can you hear like a suction type noise just above the sweet roar!  I guess that would be the noise from the restriction of the 3" single!

With the cubes you are running there is no way known that a single 3" is going to cut the mustard. That y junction would be causing no end of restriction with your cubes and comp.

If that were my car I'd have twin 3" with an x pipe. Especially as it isn't a shopping trolley and sees good solid revs. The perforated and packed muffler is also a big restriction to flow. They should never be used in a proper performance application in my opinion. You can't go past a proper chambered muffler like the hooker of magnaflow. If you have ever read Vizard's stuff on exhaust design you will understand my hatred of those glass pack mufflers.

To give you some indication of what I'm on about, Ryan's roller cam crossy is running an exhaust we designed to work on the street and at the track. It has 3.5" pipe. That's for just 250cubes not 393. Don't be fooled by narrow minded exhaust shops that are caught in the dark ages. Big pipe diameters actually sound better (less tinny) than small diameter. As soon as you start modifying any engine for increased performance, even just cam and comp, you can quickly find the limits of small pipe systems.

I run a single 3 inch with one muffler with a mild 302w. I wonder now if I should have gone bigger to say 3.5 to future proof it for more cubes later on.

Yeah I can vouch for the chambered mufflers, I much prefer the sound too. I made a set of duallies that sort of copied both designs and they are surprisingly mellow. Nothing scientific about them, just welded some gutted cats together with some v-shaped sheetmetal baffles inside. 2-1/2" in and out to 2-1/4 tailpipes on a mild 302.

Apparently, the original Flowmasters were designed for sprint cars when they started to bring in noise restrictions. In some instances, the v-baffled muffles can actually induce a suction effect, sort of like a one-way valve, but this only happens at certain rpms.

Regardless of how good or bad glasspacks are, I find them be way too boomy down low.

I run a single 3 inch with one muffler with a mild 302w. I wonder now if I should have gone bigger to say 3.5 to future proof it for more cubes later on.

Nah mild 302 should be fine with that setup. 351 would be a bit choked though.