Sign in to follow this  
RAWDEAL

Whats involved in converting a t5 to a mustang extension housing?

Hi guys i bought a t5 mustang extension housing off of ebay from the states, got it for 125$ landed here which i recon is alright 

Looking to convert my cortina to a 5 speed ! revving @ 3000 @ 80kmph on a daily is a bit high haha

Is there any other parts i need to buy to do this job ? i assume its just a bearing and a seal in there pretty much? 

i am hoping to do it myself

I also need a t5 to convert if anyone wants to sell me one?

the small /drill/tap a hole mod works with the cortina single rail bellhousings i assume?

heres the ebay 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321295357164

You will need to either get the top shaft also with that rear housing or get your falcon one cut down and drilled to take a roll pin to hold the shifter ball mechanism.

Then just unbolt the 4 bolts for the shifter.

Knock the roll pin out with a punch.. be carefull when taking the shifter bit out because theyre is a spring and it could go anywhere. and to remember how it goes back togethor.

unbolt the bolts to slide the back of the housing off.. then either swap the top plate over to mustang one. or cut and redril the falcon shaft to suit.

then cut the floor to suit.

Mustang-T5-Housing.jpg

Fix-T5-Speedo-1.jpg

Fix-T5-Speedo-3.jpg

Fix-T5-Speedo-4.jpg

Corty-6Cyl-Install-03.jpg

Corty-6Cyl-Install-04.jpg

Corty-6Cyl-Install-08.jpg

You will need to either get the top shaft also with that rear housing or get your falcon one cut down and drilled to take a roll pin to hold the shifter ball mechanism.

Then just unbolt the 4 bolts for the shifter.

Knock the roll pin out with a punch.. be carefull when taking the shifter bit out because theyre is a spring and it could go anywhere. and to remember how it goes back togethor.

unbolt the bolts to slide the back of the housing off.. then either swap the top plate over to mustang one. or cut and redril the falcon shaft to suit.

then cut the floor to suit.

Mustang-T5-Housing.jpg

Fix-T5-Speedo-1.jpg

Fix-T5-Speedo-3.jpg

Fix-T5-Speedo-4.jpg

Corty-6Cyl-Install-03.jpg

Corty-6Cyl-Install-04.jpg

Corty-6Cyl-Install-08.jpg

Thanks mate that helps heaps! 

i diddnt get the shifter/shaft from the other housing so i guess ill just drill and dowel the falcon shaft! 

that pic with the hole cut in the floor really puts it in perspective of how shit it would be if i tried to fit a falcon/shifterposition/t5, id have to remove the handbrake

+rep coming your way 

EDIT: this forum doesnt really have +rep? haha

Without being able to find measurements off of the internet, can i use the same length extension housing as the one currently in it?

Side-note: while you've got the shifter apart, there's a shift guide plate down the bottom that on RHD cars could do with some work on the 2-3 shift. I found that on my EA box, 2-3 shift was baulky as it would hit on the gate. The problem arises because the T5 started out as a LHD box and the motion of your arm changing gears is different in each case.

I'll be putting this same box in my 302 XE when it needs a clutch, and will be grinding the corner off this gate (and maybe 4-5 shift too) to prevent said notchy-ness.

Remember that being on the other side of the pivot, the whole shift pattern is upside-down and back-to front so 1st will be bottom right on the plate, reverse will be top left.