mattymc

Ball joints for Xf genuine ford or aftermarket?

I'm looking at doing my upper and lower ball joints soon and wondered what brands people are having a good run out of?.

Other than genuine ford items is there a good quality aftermarket brand?.

Is there a certain brand to stay away from?.

Hope all that makes sense.

Aftermarket, genuine Ford ones are (I think) riveted in - unless that's only the originals.

TRW is a good aftermarket brand, there's also one call WASP I think, or Protek, they're the ones I know of.

Cheers for the info Mr Polson. I did not realise that the factory ball joints were riveted in. I've heard of TRW and Protec before. Not so much Wasp. Will have a look into the different brands.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have used protec and trw before.

My ute was kitted out with Protec, and my wagon had TRW.

The utes ball joints and tie rods have lasted about 20,000kms, and showing signs of wear already.

Wagon after 10/15,000kms has no signs of wear on ball joints or tie rod ends.

Only advance of Protec is they came with grease nipples, the TRW ones didn't. TRW was also more expensive, but I'd pay that extra to have them last like they are.

Is road safe the brand that comes in orange and black boxes?

If so I've used a couple of their bits too, lower ball joints in the wagon and a pitman arm in the ute, they both are holding up well.

MOOG out of a Mercury is the BEST you can get, you just cant get them here

trw/555/roadsafe paja are the best in aus at the moment, Wasp is a close 4th, for cheap stuff they have been good, trw and 555 are getting hard to find, roadsafe is available almost anywhere

most of the time i use roadsafe

they are hit and miss with supply, i sell a few hundred a month and some all from the same suppliers, some come in sealed, the next week they come in greaseable, really annoying when a customer requests a certain type as you can never gaurantee supply

wasp i found to be more oftern then not greaseable but who knows these days, i last looked into it probably 2 years ago

Has anyone used the red balljoint boots that you can buy on eBay? They say that they are better than standard rubber boots. I fitted some wasp balljoints 2 years ago and 3 out of 4 are fine but the bottom right has split and started to groan when I turn. I've just greased it and will replace it but might get a kit of red boots for $75 to replace the other 3 boots before they are shagged.

I've got a set but haven't fitted them yet because I replaced the ball joints less than 5000km ago. They look & feel the goods, doubt they'll split like the rubber ones do. I'd say go for it.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_05-2004_Falcon_Balljoints-Aug_2004.pdf

Brand (Supplier) 4-bolt (early model) 3-bolt (late model)
Ford OE (no longer
available)
OK OK
Quinton Hazell QH (Ford) OK, has about 2mm shaft
clearance when contacting
bumpstop
OK, has about 2mm shaft
clearance when contacting
bumpstop
CTR (Titan Auto Parts) Similar or better than QH Similar or better than QH
WJ Automotive (AutoStop) X Binds while 25mm
suspension travel remains
before bumpstop is reached
Binds while 25mm
Silverline (Repco) X Binds while 25mm
Binds while 25mm
‘Camelot’ (George Stock &
Co) marked ‘TRANS’
X Binds while 25mm
Binds while 25mm
555 (Titan Auto Parts) Example not found Example not found
The three

Excellent find good sir..... :)

I've been wondering about this for years, but I think an Australian comparison test is in order.

I might do just that in the near future, to see what brands are dangerous, and which brands work.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_05-2004_Falcon_Balljoints-Aug_2004.pdf

555 -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Upper-and-Lower-Ball-Joints-OE-Style-/260756305446?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cb6497626

Good luck finding anyone with original riveted ball joints. :D Looks like the 'new' ones have a raised cylinder bit around the ball.? Excuse my crude photoshopping,

bad%20ball%20joint%20001.jpg

This might be something to look for when buying some.