Server maintenance Read more... ×
TF_250

Next Peice of the Puzzle Cont.

Sent the engine to have the cams setup and piston to valve checked and that's were it stoped no piston to valve on the intake side :(  bloody ford heaps on the exhaust though and you can see by the pics why!!

IMG_2545_zps01b392f2.jpg

IMG_2543_zpsff0abd75.jpg

Compare the piston and rod with a 250 & ACL race series flat top VS Stock n/a FG

IMG_2547_zps44fd53ac.jpg

I was so close it was only meters away from the dyno!! now I have lifted the head which i didn't was to do. Also these things run a 0.016" thick head gasket or really a steel shim, rod bolts apart from being metric are the same as 250 as well.

Now i have to get all the intake flycuts don in the pistons and then can set the cams were the tuner wants for maximum vct use.

Finally found this build Jase, dont know how the heck I missed it.  Anyway, thumbs up to ya.. your work is top notch man!  Cant wait to see more

When she's all sorted, this little roadblock with the pv clearance will be a forgotten memory ;)

Sucks mate soooooooooo close

so non standed pistons are causeing that issue? or all the piston have no cutout for the intake valves?

Mate those are std factory ford pistons they have no intake cutouts, they hopefully will be the piston I will continue with.

Fair enough mate i did not know

do the turbo engines still run the same pistons? you have to bear with me i know little to nothing about the BA FG engines apart form lifting the topends can be a pain :( so much shit and not enough small hands :D

It's all god mate I'm learning as I go as well from what I can gather they are all the same motor, the turbo has a dish piston and 8.8:1 comp, the n/a which I have has a dome piston with 10.3:1 comp and the gas must have a bigger dome and 12.0:1 comp. the tuboo piston has the cuts in the exhaust only as well. I'm hoping there is enough piston to cut the intake side as well will the hopefully getting this sorted this week.

Man been a while on this nothing goes to plan and nothing is done in a hurry either!! Piston to valve done, the piston was not really thick enough to get to the vct position that we really wanted but we will still have a fair amount to play with as is now. hopefully going back together soon!!

IMG_2615_zps698437bc.jpg

Nah Rob I didn't even want/budget to pull the head off now the thing is completely apart. If I do pistons they would be full custom then I may as well to rods then crank blah blah blah the bottom end is them same as the old xflow and it made 340hp so for now this will do. But who knows what the future will hold!!

Xflow - 345hp @ 6100 333ftlb @ 4700

FG -    355hp @ 6050 342ftlb @ 4500

same dyno, same fuel brand, same manifold, same exhaust, same tuner, 3 years apart!!

So thats a stock FG DOHC head port, chamber, valve angles etc which is different to BA DOHC also we love vct saw one simple change at 5000 to the exhaust cam and gained 20hp!!! the cams have 60 degrees of movement and we are using all of that through the rev range.

Should be back out racing in the next few weeks if all goes well.

Well that is impressive for a stock port motor and shows how far port design and variable cam technology has come. 

10hp & 9ftlb gain from a head that was designed in the 80's (granted it was heavily ported) to one from what say 2010.  Shows how good the original design was. 

TBH Jason I was hoping to be proved wrong by a bigger margin than that, none the less a great achievement by you to get it in the car and running and such a neat conversion as always.  

Be interested to see if there is ET gain.