TF_250

Next Peice of the Puzzle Cont.

Thanks guys it's is very snug in the bay lucky I runs a bar on the motor to stop movement everything has 10mm of clearance!!

Haha the biggest cam you can get for these is 230@50 500 lift!!!!! I've been told it won't work in na, so that's the cam I'm going for. I will know more today.

The boys in mods are making 260 + at the tyres with cams, extractors and tune (aftermarket computer) on a standard intake manifold.  I'm thinking that with individual runner efi, aftermarket computer, tune, extractors and Jason's touches this thing will go  300rwhp and a mountain of torque.  Yahoo.

If it starts making big power It will be tuned to a number, ie nobled to get the number I'm after. At the moment there is a big picture here I can only go 11.5 in the class I race and went 11.58 with the 340hp xflow so I don't want any more!! If i have time we Will turn the screws on this thing but time will be the factor as time is money on the dyno, and seeing its going on an engine dyno at that is even worse.

More goodies today now shit is getting real!!! stage 5 man I'm hardcore LOL!!! :D

B534D11F-4D24-48A6-87E3-C977D6A72649_zps

6431ADD5-8325-4512-B634-A62EB7694E29_zps

Nice. Don't understand why people would think those cams won't work NA. You might run different lobe step but that's about all.

You may have answered this already and you don't need to justify your actions to me; but why change from the crossy when you were so close to your fastest desired time? Would have though the crossy was a bigger achievement?

This is very cool and unique though.

Nice. Don't understand why people would think those cams won't work NA. You might run different lobe step but that's about all.

You may have answered this already and you don't need to justify your actions to me; but why change from the crossy when you were so close to your fastest desired time? Would have though the crossy was a bigger achievement?

This is very cool and unique though.

No worries Matt, Don't get me wrong the crossflow did a better job then i expected, but it developed a water leak in the intake port which could have been fixed but would have been a major as it would have had to be welded on the water side of the port which meant cutting the deck open etc. The next obvious thing would be getting another head done but I struggled with finding someone to take my money!! I have always in the back of my mind been keen on the DOHC ( i measured one up at the wreckers about 3 years ago) so I decided the sell my motor needing a head and if it sold then the DOHC was the go. As it always happened a good fg motor came up and I grabbed it and just put it in the corner and rest it history.

I know this will upset some guys but after getting into these dohc motors abit more everything you might do to a crossflow is done in the dohc. better crank, long rod, short piston, girdle, windage tray, crossbolt main. and the head flow is better then my original xflow head ported by like 30cfm std!!!

Those engines are bloody great... Turbo, atmo, BA, BF, FG, I've driven them all and amaze me every time at their performance with such humble beginnings. From a cheap and simple engine in an American "economy car" 50 years ago, to its current form as a world-class powerplant, I think what Aussie engineering has shown in it is amazing. I'm really looking forward to seeing how your Corty runs with one in it. I should imagine that it will put many V8-converted ones to shame.

The swap doesn't upset me. I love what you have done, just wasn't sure why. What you have said makes sense. I remember the water leak now and can understand your troubles trying to get good work done for you.

TBRE stage 5....can't wait to hear this thing! I have the atomic stage 5 ones for mine (turbo though) when the time comes.

Congrats in your previous achievements and good luck with the future ones.

Not much going on here to show at the moment, working in the valve train. These Engines only have 0.480" clearance between the underside of the spring retainer and to top side of the stem seal and to cap it off the stem seal and spring bucket is all one piece. Funny thing is also rang a few guys who are in the know with these engines and they have never heard of my problem which suggests they don't check the clearance!!!

I think I have found a solution as there are no aftermarket parts other then springs available for these engines to. It has put me back about two weeks sorting this shit though. After this the cams have to be fitted and the lifters have to be shimmed up because of the smaller base circle on the new cams then we can do piston to valve and set up where the tuner wants the cam timing to be with the vct phaser's. Once all that is done it should be dyno time which cant come soon enough IMO I'm hanging to get back in this thing!!

I recall having to machine the posts that support the rocker gear on my 4.0l burnout car as well as shim the lifters because of the smaller base circle.  At that time there was a problem getting cam blanks for those engine so it had to be ground off a stock one so that may have been the reason.  Just throwing it out there just in case you have the same issue.

A couple of blokes up here made their stock 4.0l rockers solid by machining in an adjuster set up.  I left mine as hydraulic and didn't have a problem but they figured they would get more reliable high rev stability??? 

Good work on the checking Jase - makes all the difference in the finished product.  Not long now. 

Yeah all the cam blanks come from ford to crow and they grind them all for the stock motors for ford. No one is doing billets for them and at the moment crow don't have any blanks they have to wait for ford to need more and send them some. That's why my cam has a smaller base circle to get the higher lifts etc it's basically a regrind cam. All I have to do for these engines ando is put a shim under the lifter shouldn't be anymore then 0.060" and that will preload the lifter as well. Just leaning these things as I go!!