Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

XF Ute Drum to Disc

I'm looking at swapping to disc brakes for the back end of the ute, I'll need it anyway if I ever get around to putting in the V8. Plus the drums are all wonky and undersized and need replacing.

Its currently got a 3.23 LSD. Now the LSD is at the point where half the time it acts as a single spinner.

So, should I rebuild the LSD part (if that's even possible?) And swap the axles to disc ones?

Or just swap to a XG/XH or e series wagon diff and do it that way?

I know if I go e series I need brake line thread adapters for imperial to metric.

Anything else?

pre el diff and need the hand brake cable to suit or el onwards and will need to get a handbrake cable made will also need the e series lwb tail shaft

the adapter part no is MF 121-10-03 available from abs and is around $1.50 trade

i've had both a xg diff and now a el diff in my xd the el diff gives me better clearance due to the brake lines being on the body but had to get a custom hand brake cable made 

the master and booster are the same (some not all have a plastic re-stricter in the rear brake line at the master)

A handbrake cable to suit the e series diff or just to suit a disc rear end? 

If an XF wagon handbrake cable (to suit disc obviously) would work, I can use the one from the Ghia wagon.

I heard a bloke being told to put a different master cylinder on to go to disk brake diff. Someone said that the disk brake master cylinder has a different proportion valve fitted coz drums need different amount of pressure to work properly. The e series diff has the 4 bolt flat flange on the pinion too so the tailshaft needs to be e series.

I've heard some people say the master cylinders are different due to that valve, and other people saying they're the same.

If they're different I can take the one off my wagon and put that in.

So that leaves needing tailshaft, diff itself, thread adapters, and possibly handbrake cable if I cant use XF wagon one.

And just to double check, if a diff is a LSD the wheels will spin the same way, correct? As in with rear wheels off the ground.

Master is same ... AS IN NO DIFFERENCE :)

Confirmed. I did a drum-to-disc conversion recently and thought I might have to remove the residual line pressure valve and found that it had none! The brake drag from takeoff turned out to be a sticky hand brake lever on one caliper.

Ea-ed wags diff, keep the springs on them gives a nice ride, reset them lower if you like.

Easy, piece of piss job, takes stuff all time to do.

Remember though the tailshaft will be different as the eseries run a flange instead of a yoke.  So remember to get the tailshaft too.

There's a point, springs.

The ute has a "V8" diff (bigger locating pins).

So I'd have to swap over the springs wouldn't I?

What's the load rating of wagon springs? I use my ute as a ute and tow with it too when I have to, so I need to retain the weight carrying ability.

Ea-ed wags diff, keep the springs on them gives a nice ride, reset them lower if you like.

Easy, piece of piss job, takes stuff all time to do.

Remember though the tailshaft will be different as the eseries run a flange instead of a yoke.  So remember to get the tailshaft too.

Old post, but I'm currently planning my diff swap, and trawling through some old posts.

Do the e series wagons springs bolt straight into xf? Wasn't planning on a spring swap, but I'm guessing normal wagon Springs will ride much much much better than my heavy duty Spring pack.