mcfly94

Rubber rocker gasket 250?

Hey guys, my rocker gasket leaking out the back of the rocker cover, and the gasket has soaked up a fair amount of oil, i take it from when i give it some revs everynow and then.

Do they make one?, maybe a better rocker cover to use?

Places can get you rubber gaskets as I think speco make em or get em made for like Repco,Bursons and such.I use a cork unit and don't have leaks because I get some Permatex black RTV sealant and smear on a even smooth layer on the bottom of the gasket and then clean (with a rag dipped in thinners) the rocker cover mounting mounting surface on the head and the rocker cover and place the gasket on the head.Then a very light smear of fresh clean oil is smeared on the top of the gasket then it's time to bolt the cover down in a centre to the ends sequence and leave it for atleast 24hrs.

Admittedly I run a big fat Aussie speed cover that doesn't leak at the worse of times but if you just prep a basic cork unit they will hold up.Or order in a $35 rubber unit and don't over tighten em.

Silastic mate on an efi cover is the shizz. Don't be stingy or not torque it down enough or it will fucking leak oil all over the ass of the engine and your drive and make you go online and type a big ass long run in sentence with little, or no, punctuation!

I know!

I used to use a paper one with the red hi temp stuff on either side under an efi rocker cover. It looked like it was leaking through the paper? I've since switched to a rubber one and its been fine since.

Always uesed the cork ones, never an issue at all!

Thats all I use on my Aussie speed cover.I do dress em before hand though with a very very light SMEAR of black RTV sealant.Problem with tin covers is they tend to warp so by cleaning and it as getting straight as possible and doing the same process of prep it would be fine.

It only has to stop oil leaks so no need to be tightened down by the NZ rugby packs front row.

Sly, totally agree with the cleaning, no point trying to seal a filthy/oily surface-its a false economy. Also agree with the sealant, from memory I used Permatex, I could be wrong on the type.

I use 3 bond on the gasket so it sticks to the cover side then add tge gasket. Smear of clean oil lightly on other side of gasket and put in place with light pressure on the bolts.

Works a treat on my datsun and I tried all gaskets and silicon s.

its called positive because if you didn't have it the crank case would be in "positive" pressure, so your venting that positive pressure

speco make the rubber gasket, retails at about 35 bucks