SPArKy_Dave

The tyre clearance v's bump stop thread

I'd do a little experiment first. Measure the height of the guard as is, then remove the bump stop altogether and remeasure. If it's a significant drop you may need to change the springs as you will still have stuff all travel with shorter bump stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'll probably run out of shock travel first...

What I did with the Koni's, is take them out, fully compress them, then I marked a ring around the shaft with a whiteout pen.

Then I refitted and noted how much travel the shock had left.

That will show, if you need shock tower spacers or not.

Memorycard13536.jpg

Memorycard13532.jpg

The dood at the suspension shop said they will suit low and super low springs,so i guess there is gunna be a few cm more in the shock,dave what about those spring packers that are around 1cm in height would a set of those help in the front instead of buying taller springs

The dood at the suspension shop said they will suit low and super low springs,so i guess there is gunna be a few cm more in the shock,dave what about those spring packers that are around 1cm in height would a set of those help in the front instead of buying taller springs

Quite possibly...

Never believe what the suspension shop dude says......

the fact they sold you Ultima's for an ESP replica build, is an insult to such an awesome car. :)

I'd be surprised if they have much if any travel left.

Have you got a pic showing the top of the shock absorber body, with the car on the ground?

Any luck getting the part number off the springs?

My XG ute springs are King Springs KFFL59 - ordered from Kings powdercoated black - for the stealth look. (cost me $12 extra from memory)

And so I didn't have yellow clashing with my nice red Koni's. :P

Since they're in an XG, they sit lower than XF, as the OHC's and 4spd auto's, are a heavier driveline.

It'll probably run out of shock travel first...

What I did with the Koni's, is take them out, fully compress them, then I marked a ring around the shaft with a whiteout pen.

Then I refitted and noted how much travel the shock had left.

That will show, if you need shock tower spacers or not.

[/url]

That's scarier than sitting on the bump stops. I'd do as Dave suggests.

i actually fitted them when the crossy was still in there ,and first time out driving i could notice how much better it was but that was with the v8 springs ,but now the clevo is in with the fmx it weighs a tonne.

So just to clarify, you only have 1 1/2cm shock travel. Left with the bump stop taken out?

In the other photo with the two marks, is that one with the bump stop before cutting and one after?

It sat higher, because you jacked up the car, and the weight was off the suspension.

Takes a run around the block to re-settle.

Was that shock absorber pic, taken at the normal height, or the higher height?

Take another bumpstop clearance pic for us too.

Havent done many K's yet and there is still more settling in. It will drop a little more yet. Believe me it will.

Spacers will help with springs and on shock mounts I reckon.

What was the measurement from the top of tyre to guard with your car? I have lows and I have just on 4 cm from top of tyre to bottom of guard.

Kings springs have disclaimer on these springs for super and ultra. I suppose they want to cover themselves.

Wouldn't be silly to take the spring out and undo the sway bar on one side and jack the suspension up until it hits the bump stop to make sure the top ball joint isn't binding beforehand.

With my bumps removed it felt like the upper balljoint bound when the uca was about 10mm from the bump stop plate. So i ended up only trimming 10mm of my bump stops to be on the safe side. You might get away with how you have it but it would be reassuring to check.

My xe sits 20mm off the bumps in the front which is alright if your roads are not too rough.