Server maintenance Read more... ×
SPArKy_Dave

The tyre clearance v's bump stop thread

I use Lovell springs, they do decent sets.
Better than cheaper makes.
My ute has Mustang spring saddles from the states with Roller bearings instead of the rubber bushes.
Very smooth and always keeps good spring alignment through bumpy corners.

Sent from my S21 using Tapatalk

They look like the same saddles I'm using which fit fine with king springs.
.... it could just be the photo angle, but it almost looks like the springs diameter is too small to suit the 'seats' in the spring saddle?
915fe11e5583e3eecd1ccf9a5fd8c4af.jpg
As for balljoints, I'm midway through hacking with a front end using the savy motorsport wedged balljoints. There's a couple things to consider about them if you were thinking of getting them.
ea256f12fa0007696d4f832868149e77.jpg
With the 1" shelbie drop mod and the savy balljoint, this was about as much compression travel as I felt comfortable with before top and bottom balljoints became close to binding.
0f34106a886e2d6c02eccd91fbf440bd.jpg
235/40/17 tyre for referencef42cb03f6eb26ee05d3fe625ea249e78.jpg

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

look how STRONG they appear by comparison
Yea... its pretty scary when you look at the oem size..... the stud must be a pretty good grade of steel

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

So it looks like I have two issues.

@SPArKy_Dave you were right, the after market spring doesn't have the small straight 'tail' and is about 15-20mm short of the tab.

@Kiwi-E you were also right re: fit (obviously) and it's the spring saddle that's the issue. As you can see from the photos below neither the original or aftermarket spring align with the the saddle, in fact they're not even close when you remove the rubbers. These are from Restocountry (ex AUS) so I'll be in touch with them.

Original vs new spring saddle - note new saddle is about 4-5mm shorter in width

NLomi0u.jpg?1

zfanfep.jpg?1

0TUJN4i.jpg?1

New vs old spring in original saddle - despite the new one being short of the tab both fit well with no rocking.

j5ObCqS.jpg?1

bSunOJL.jpg?1

New vs old spring in new saddle - no possible way to make either work.

v9i3HJl.jpg?1

FzuVSgg.jpg?1

AmsMm8u.jpg

So it appears I'm on the hunt for another new set of saddles and I'll be off to the suspension shop to yack to them too. Can anyone confirm if the Kings has the wee straight bit that these are missing? The springs are the same price as Kings and are from a well known/ reputable outfit here in Christchurch so I'll be interested to hear their thoughts.

Also, mindful of the thread hi-jack so happy if someone wants to bounce this over to my build thread!

48 minutes ago, waderobertson said:

in fact they're not even close when you remove the rubbers. These are from Restocountry (ex AUS) so I'll be in touch with them.

never seen such a poor fitting spring saddle. 

never had issues with aftermarket springs (pedders, king, lovells,) fitting the saddles i've bought.. none were as CRAP LOOKING as these ones

An update on this. Restocountry refunded my purchase price and I've just today ordered a set of the open tracker roller spring perches from the US. Once I fit them and the LCA bush then the front end is done burger! Until the budget allows for wedged ball joints and a beefy sway bar... maybe.