Server maintenance Read more... ×
SPArKy_Dave

The tyre clearance v's bump stop thread

The goal of this thread, is comparison..............

clean or dirty, lowered or standard, lets see how people have got their x-series set up.

Take some pics similar to mine below, that show the following -

front tyre to guard clearance

bump stop clearance

ball joint angles

upper/lower control arm angles

swaybar link angle

front camber/caster, etc.

Here's mine.

Specs are as follows -

Vehicle - 1995 XG ute

Shocks - Koni 82-1742SP4 (short body reds)

Springs - Kings Springs KFFL59 (powdercoated black by Kings)

Tyres - 225/50R/16

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

Yeah, it wasn't meant to sit on the bump stops, considering it's not really all that low.

Hence I'm interested to see what config others are running, and the resultant angles/clearances.

There may be manufacturing differences we're not fully aware of, since the majority of lowered x-series I see, sit about the same visual height as above

if not lower.

And might I just add....... the XG has been unused for the past two yrs - since just after I started the suspension mods,

because -

IMG_2785.jpg

and

Memorycard2824.jpg

But I would like to use it next year, since I finally saved enough to finish building the head,

and finish the full Koni suspension setup that got halted.

Care to share some similar pics of your suspension setup? :)

I don't have anything closer up since I got my new tyres - which made the ute look slightly higher. Probably due to a different type profile (235/60R14 where as it used to be 215/65).

1989 XF Falcon ute

Kings Springs - KFFL-59

EBay shocks (not sure on brand) short stroke and big bore for 2.5" lowered vehicles

As I said tyres are 235/60R14

IMG_20130925_162209_zpsa11d6b82.jpg

IMG_20131221_100607_zps835938a0.jpg

IMG_20131221_100616_zps1af18815.jpg

IMG_20131221_100737_zps9fc6e606.jpg

Please ignore the filthy parts, I need Hendrix to come and make the bits most people never see all pretty :P

Shock length comparison -

The pick of the bunch, of course, is the Konis. They're adjustable on rebound only I think but are fully rebuildable. The ones on my wagon are getting on 30 years and will still outperform brand new oem-style ones.

One thing I don't get is the L/H front tyre rubbing on the lip whenever I hit a speed bump or driveway. I can see that the bullshit-lowered XE with snowies seems fine. I'm only running 205/70/15s so it should clear it by miles. Anyone have any tricks?

SNIP

Few photos there I took! :D I wish I had my new camera! :(

did christo ever migrate?

He did, just isn't as active as I'd like him to be!

The pick of the bunch, of course, is the Konis. They're adjustable on rebound only I think but are fully rebuildable. The ones on my wagon are getting on 30 years and will still outperform brand new oem-style ones.

One thing I don't get is the L/H front tyre rubbing on the lip whenever I hit a speed bump or driveway. I can see that the bullshit-lowered XE with snowies seems fine. I'm only running 205/70/15s so it should clear it by miles. Anyone have any tricks?

Flogged out caster bar and/or lower control arm bushes probably.

Flogged out caster bar and/or lower control arm bushes probably.

Got the camber tipped in fairly well (having such tall squishy tyres) and the castor wound out a lot too (as I like it) so much so that I noticed that the lower arms are angled quite far forward. It drives well for a manual-steer V8.

I wonder if the tyre hits the leading edge of the lip because the wheel sits too far forward? Hmmm....

I wonder if the tyre hits the leading edge of the lip because the wheel sits too far forward? Hmmm....

I reckon that's the problem!

My Dad has the same issue with his 68 Fairmont, and its due to the castor setting having the wheel too far forward. Only ever does it on passenger side.

Be careful of the tyres grabbing I mine lowered with v8 springs out of a xb coupe I wrecked out, drove a round for years no issues. I got a wheel alignment done and the guy doing tweaked it and the the right hand tyre grabbed the guard only with decent pot holes. Put up with it as it wasn't all the time, six months later the upper wish bone fell out, cracked between the two mounting bolts and pulled the bolts through! The car never got fixed I wrecked it out.