Server maintenance Read more... ×
SPArKy_Dave

The tyre clearance v's bump stop thread

I never scraped the guard with 245's and I've not rolled the guard. 

I dunno how low you guys are going but from a steering geometry point of view it's not fiesable to have a 17" wheel tucking in the front of an Xfal. 

Even with all my mods it would be difficult to get the wheel to tuck in practice and cornering performance would suffer if I did. Not to mention banging off the ball joint or bumpstops. 

I pulled the spring out and even with modded ball joint mount this is as much tuck as can be acheaved at ball joint bind.

1yjlTkd.jpg

And in the rear, my tailshaft hits the tunnel, even though I've cut and raised the tunnel. And the rears don't tuck. 

So if you want to tuck, your gonna need bigger than 17's or run big sidewall truck tyres.

Mine won't be low at all, just stock V8 springs with Shelby drop. I'm just looking to fill out the guards with a bit of tyre. If I go any lower, I won't even get past my driveway.

That XF does look rad in that pic, as impractical as it would be.

The more I think about it (way too much), I'm becoming more convinced to go 16x8 ET0 and -10 front and rear respectively. The style available in that size is the closest to the NASCAR look I'm shooting for. There's a good range of rubber available in that size and prices are reasonable.

VB, I chatted with a mate and he said the same thing about the d-holes. Says they look too "sunraysia". So soft-8 it is.

Cheers for all the advice gents, much appreciated. I'm going to Put my fucking order in and stop talking about it

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Nah the steering wheel isn't quite straight. Trust me, the tyres were wearing extremely well for a V8

Also the guards taper in toward the front of the car very slightly

Oh Greg, I was having a laugh, I meant your feet!!

We once had an apprentice at Kenworth whose boots were worn on the inside from dragging his feet so he had tonnes of negative camber so naturally he ended up with the nickname of “datto “ after the 1600 when lowered

Oh Greg, I was having a laugh, I meant your feet!!

We once had an apprentice at Kenworth whose boots were worn on the inside from dragging his feet so he had tonnes of negative camber so naturally he ended up with the nickname of “datto “ after the 1600 when lowered

Lol... OK now I get it. So that's why I wear out my boots on the inside

Datto... Good one

Try WASP mate. This is my second set. Last set been in 6-7 years.
Thats best available here standard.
Moog would be the best stockers but bit more exxy.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

I just bought myself a wasp brand pitman arm then realised 2 things. 1) my puller is too small so I’ve bought another one 2) the kit they sell with ball joints also includes a pitman arm so I’ll end up with a spare!

We are sexual perverts wasp
Thats the one Chestnut me ol son.

I just bought myself a wasp brand pitman arm then realised 2 things. 1) my puller is too small so I’ve bought another one 2) the kit they sell with ball joints also includes a pitman arm so I’ll end up with a spare!
I haven't done mine yet... need to soak it for a few weeks then do it.
I pulled all my wasp gear out of ute and to be honest. .. maybe only one lower ball joint on passenger side was a bit dick. Rest I'll keep as spares.
Utes been on some rough roads so they can't be too bad.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Just replaced all front end bushes (sway bar and linkages, control arms and castor rod), tie rods, springs, saddles and shocks in the XF.

• 86 XF 6 Cylinder 
  • Cobra Super Low Springs (40-50mm lower than std)
  • Koni short body shocks (821742SP4)
  • 17x8 rims with 235/45s
  • bump stops cut to 22mm with about the same clearance to control arm.

dp4buhn.jpg?1

X22LFNE.jpg

cD0iM8B.jpg

1AxAe4H.jpg

6pcoy05.jpg

iQkoilE.jpg?1

A couple of pics showing why she handled like it was driving on marbles... springs are the same, the one on the left has had a 40mm haircut... and the resulting bump stop which was pumped right through to the head of the mount screw. Shocks were shortened KYBs. Cut open the ball joint rubber and there's definitely sign of the ball joint tapping out.

VVxbR8X.jpg?2

gxuPfke.jpg

She's a couple of weeks from being back on the road so we'll see how she goes. Not really happy with the ball joint angle, and expect springs to settle given they're new,  so might look to invest in some of those flash harry ball joints down the track.

1 hour ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

The spring coil, doesn't have the correct end cut, for Falcon spring saddles -

see how it's missed the saddle stop tab?

That is a problem.

good spotting, i reckon that's the saddle that's the issue.. 

7 hours ago, deankdx said:

good spotting, i reckon that's the saddle that's the issue.. 

Yeah that was an absolute ass to line up on that side, passenger side is ok. Its like the tab is not quite on the right angle... as simple as a little gentle persuation perhaps?

2 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

there is a left and right in springs,maybe thats the problem ?

Copy that, both sides clearly marked and on the correct side. Looking at the drivers side saddle the tab is definitely doing it's own thing when compared to the passenger side and how it comes off the saddle itself. If i turn the spring so the cut end is flush with the tab there's a gap so suspect the tab has had a whack or shoddy manufacturing. 

5 hours ago, waderobertson said:

or shoddy manufacturing. 

In my experience, the aftermarket spring coils are often cut a bit short -

ie, they don't leave a small straight section of coil, to match up to the saddle tab - as the factory springs do.

Some coil spring brands, are worse than others.

There's also a difference, between the Australian OEM style spring saddle tabs, (separate spot-welded tab)

and the USA Mustang style saddle tabs (integral with saddle tab)

99% of the aftermarket Falcon spring saddles, are the Mustang type - as per yours.

15 minutes ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

In my experience, the aftermarket spring coils are often cut a bit short -

ie, they don't leave a small straight section of coil, to match up to the saddle tab - as the factory springs do.

Some coil spring brands, are worse than others.

There's also a difference, between the Australian OEM style spring saddle tabs, (separate spot-welded tab)

and the USA Mustang style saddle tabs (integral with saddle tab)

99% of the aftermarket Falcon spring saddles, are the Mustang type - as per yours.

Thanks for that @SPArKy_Dave good to know 👍