Sign in to follow this  
XTREME KARTS XF

351C and 5 speed

t5 will work, but if you abuse it, it WILL break.

tko500/600

OR other option, go to the wreckers, get a 6speed T56 out of a GMH, way stronger than the t5 plus extra gear, just make sure its a holden one, the ford ones don't have a speedo pickup on the side of the box, except maybe a ute? i remember they used to, don't know about now.

$$$ wise if you wanna do it on the cheap, T5, if you want to do it properly, i'd go a T56, if you have a lot of cash, T56 magnum.

advantage of the t56 is you can run 3.9s in the ass and then cruise at 2000rpm at 110.

i looked at a T56 for mine and its was just nuts how much it was to set up

id do a t5 in most i killed one but my engine would have a fair bit more grunt then a basic clevo that and i think it may have been a dud box and i poped it heaps easy :(

still going but just missing gears :D

I did this research a little while ago. Everything that everybody has been said above is the info I found.

For the cost of the toyota you could have multiple T5's and they are just about the same strength. The T5Z is the stronger T5 to use but they can be expensive as they are out of recent falcons and are known to be better so people charge. Personally I think the T56 is the one to get if you have to buy a box. I have a step by step write up of someone putting a holden T56 into an xb with a clevo, recons it cost him $5 grand to have in the car including buying the box. I cant post it as it is 4 pages long(but I will send it if anyone wants it)

I did this research a little while ago. Everything that everybody has been said above is the info I found.

For the cost of the toyota you could have multiple T5's and they are just about the same strength. The T5Z is the stronger T5 to use but they can be expensive as they are out of recent falcons and are known to be better so people charge. Personally I think the T56 is the one to get if you have to buy a box. I have a step by step write up of someone putting a holden T56 into an xb with a clevo, recons it cost him $5 grand to have in the car including buying the box. I cant post it as it is 4 pages long(but I will send it if anyone wants it)

Yeah ive done a tr6060 in an xb/clevo. its pretty easy

quicktime bellhousing

clevo flywheel

10sp clutch kit (the tr6060 i have for SOME reason came out of a bfgt ute and it is 10 spline), if its 26spline, just substitute a 26sp kit

used a oem xb master cylinder for the clutch

braided clutch line made up

oem slave cylinder

hole cut in the floor for the shifter. it sits further back that the t5 ect but IMO its in a much better spot

custom tailshaft made

used a standard auto/xb cross member, extended it outwards with some 10mm plate

Who needs a speedo??? 

Plugged the solenoid on the side of the shifter, with a piece of brass i turned up and a little 'fork'

cost me around 7 grand all up.. 

For that price you could of fitted a t56 magnum which is much better gearbox than a standard tr6060 and the gear shift location would be in the same spot as per the factory.

i bought the 6060 before there even was a magnum and i would have bought one of the first of them because no gearbox shops or anything knew anything about em or had seen em lol 

i actually got told from a guy from mal wood to buy a ute/v8/ford box/t56 . even he diddnt know that they had started putting the tr6060s in em lol

the magnum would cost an extra 1000$ anyways, and where the shifter sits now is 10x better!! (if you were a really short bloke it would prolly be to far back though)

For those that prefer the T5 option there is an alternative to blowing them up , Astro in th good Ole US of A make a complete gearset to suit the E series T5 that depending on the internals chosen can make them street driven Clevo proof or track ready non synchro too. There are guys doing mid 10s in Fox body Muzzies in the US running these Astro transmissions ,the only drawback that i can see is there can be a little gear noise but then the cars that have this seem to be stripped out , so a fully trimmed car should be pretty quiet t. The T5 or A5 as Astro call it also retains the T5 nice shift and fitted with a short shift kit like Steeda branded unit ($190 US$ ) you can have a pretty good unit , the ratios can also be selected for 1st and 5th .

The fellas in WA called Streetbuild have done a few and they pretty happy with them so far.

Adding to my post above i have found out that according to Tony of Astro in the US that Mal Wood is an Oz agent for their A5 gear sets as well ,it seems he is more inclined to sell his Tremec product . I misspelled the name of the WA guys its Streebuilt and they are put several A5 gearboxes behind some pretty serious motors , a 347 turbo V8 was one and several other over performing motors so a mildly modded 351 should not challenge an A5 at all . 

Imo using the A5 with an alloy bell housing also has a serious weight advantage as opposed to a TKO or T56 or Toploader that can also improve the acceleration and braking performance of these heavy cars .

As others noted th T5 also enters the cabin at pretty much the same location as a single rail / auto / top loader so your console also remains as per factory , neat and tidy ,for me thats essential in my XY .

theres a few companies who do gearsets for T5s, i put one in a box and they definitely work.

but they end up costing far far too much compared to what they will handle, last time i priced a set up they were $2500, if it was a $900 gearset definitely worth it.

cheapest option seems to be the TKO500

next step would be going straight to t56 magnum.

a5 gearkit seems a little cheaper

http://www.astroperformance.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/29/products_id/743

stronger than a tko500 too

http://www.astroperformance.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/29/products_id/561

Not exactly, but my trusty T5 that's been in 3 cars now is going fine behind my little clevo. Wish it was a TKO but whatever.... Money and shit

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Yeah, money being the main hurdle........  TKO's ain't cheap, plus hydraulic clutch, plus pedal box, plus flywheel, plus clutch kit, 
Well I already got the other bits, just the box would do me fine. A nice close-ratio unit would be the duck's nuts

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk