Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
XTREME KARTS XF

351C and 5 speed

Hey fellas

Sometime next year i want to convert my XD ute to 5 speed with a V8. Right now with funds the way they are im going to keep it auto (easier and more cost effective) when i do the V8 conversion over the xmas break (hopefully). My question to you guys is,

What 5 speed box is best suited for a 351 cleveland?

Does the tko500 bolt straight up to a toploader bell housing and can you still retain  the same hydraulic set up that the top loader was using?

Would make for an easy bolt on  upgrade if you've got a top loader fitted already.

i ran a t5 out of a ef xr6 behind my 351 clevo for years and not one issue, if you respect the box it will be fine, if you thrash it like a idiot it will break, dellow for the bellhousing then sort out the hydralic clutch, the fuel bill went down massively with only changing that. well worth it

I had a TKO500 bolt-in replacement for TopLoader.
When I bought it, I checked and yes, it fitted directly to my existing bellhousing.
.The shifter was in the same position and the box was the same length.

I ended up selling it on before using it as I wanted something rated more than 500lb/ft

I had a TKO500 and as above it uses a top loader bolt pattern and has a 10 spline input shaft so clutches are cheaper than if you go for a TKO600 which has a 31 spline input i think. I used it for about a year before going to an auto and it was a really good box.

Hey fellas

Sometime next year i want to convert my XD ute to 5 speed with a V8. Right now with funds the way they are im going to keep it auto (easier and more cost effective) when i do the V8 conversion over the xmas break (hopefully). My question to you guys is,

What 5 speed box is best suited for a 351 cleveland?

Soo easy to go tr6060, i can show u how i got mine to work if u want

Not 100% sure  but i believe so. I had a T5 in mine with a Dellow bellhousing. The TKO uses a top loader bolt pattern so I just had to redrill and tap my bellhousing with the correct bolt pattern. You also need a new tailshaft yoke as theyre are 31 spline output shaft. I didnt have to change tailshaft length and I already had a spare straight rear crossmember. Other than the retapping new holes in my bellhousing everything was complete bolt in.

So it looks like the TKO 500 is the way to go, but what about the toyota boxes? like the steel case celica box (W50) and the supra boxes (W55-W59)???

There a bit expensive for how old they are , but there pretty strong boxes. the money u save over buying one instead of a TKO, you would spend on buying a custom dellowect bellhousing IMO

toyota box = custom speedo, custom cross member, custon bell housing, custom clutch, custom tailshaft.. insert $500 for every "custom" word used.

T5 = single rail V8 parts used= cheapest for a stock clevo.

if a 2.92 or 2.77 diff is used, i'd stay with a single rail anyway = cheaper(or leave it auto)

toyota box = custom speedo, custom cross member, custon bell housing, custom clutch, custom tailshaft.. insert $500 for every "custom" word used.

T5 = single rail V8 parts used= cheapest for a stock clevo.

if a 2.92 or 2.77 diff is used, i'd stay with a single rail anyway = cheaper(or leave it auto)

Dellow make the bellhousing to suit, along with the spigot bearing and clutch disc (you just bolt your pressure plate to dellows conversion disc). It'll be auto for now as the donor car i picked up is auto, i was thinking the toyota box "just" to be different, i'll ask neil (rocket) about the toyota box conversion he did in his XF ute.

Dellow make the bellhousing to suit, along with the spigot bearing and clutch disc (you just bolt your pressure plate to dellows conversion disc). It'll be auto for now as the donor car i picked up is auto, i was thinking the toyota box "just" to be different, i'll ask neil (rocket) about the toyota box conversion he did in his XF ute.

supra box W58 are ok, but the cost will be heaps more than a T5

t5 will work, but if you abuse it, it WILL break.

tko500/600

OR other option, go to the wreckers, get a 6speed T56 out of a GMH, way stronger than the t5 plus extra gear, just make sure its a holden one, the ford ones don't have a speedo pickup on the side of the box, except maybe a ute? i remember they used to, don't know about now.

$$$ wise if you wanna do it on the cheap, T5, if you want to do it properly, i'd go a T56, if you have a lot of cash, T56 magnum.

advantage of the t56 is you can run 3.9s in the ass and then cruise at 2000rpm at 110.

Best mate had a BF11 XR6T ute.
Used to melt the ABS sensor on the diff, as a result the speedo would fuckup and go erratic.
I think they went to the T6060 for them, too, didn't they?

For some reason I was under the impression the BA11 was the only Falcons to use the T56

not too sure on that one chaise, i know my best mates BA MKII definitely has the T56, but i thought they only went the TR6060 on the FG? i could be wrong though, i've only worked on a few BF manuals.

i'm pretty the early BA utes had the speedo sensor on the side of the box (maybe switched on BF??? dunno) i know all the sedans used the wheel speed sensor for speedo pickup.

i know the holden t56 has the speedo input on the side of the box because i've used that before on other cars to do a t56 conversion, plus they have a stronger input shaft.