Sign in to follow this  
Ando81

Clutch fan hub ideas

Hey all, just wondering if anyone has suggestions of good brands that make xf clutch fan hubs. I think mine is not working properly as my ute is getting up to 3/4 on the temp gauge. I've flushed the radiator, new water pump, new radiator hoses and the fan doesn't seem to cut in with engine revs on it like it used to. I bought a new one a few years ago and within 18 months it seized up. I wouldn't mind that so much but when it won't lock up at all is a big worry. I've got a set of ef thermos, should I just bang them in instead?

I'd personally put the thermo fans on, they will probably never need replacing while the $100 new hub you can't be certain . One on my latest XE must be seized, just goes flat out regardless of temp. 

Factory ones were the best, but I think they're getting to the age where they're wearing out.

I'd just put the thermos in, I've got e series thermos in my ute, never goes over half on the temp gauge (unless I forget to turn them on).

I would definitely be putting an automatic switch on the fans to make sure that they come on when required and an override switch for added insurance. Just need to upgrade the 60A alternator and we should be sweet.

Toyota sell new clutch fan hub liquid but personally i use davies craige clutch hubs

Thanks for that mate but I don't know enough about the fan hubs to refill them. Was unaware that Davies Craig made them. I might have to see if I can track down one of their units locally.

do be aware there are different hubs depending on vehicle options like aircon etc

Yeah I wondered about this, I had seen different listings for cars fitted with ac and wondered what the difference was.

aircon cars have a plastic fan where as the non aircon have the all steel fan blades, v8 is different again but have all steel blades no matter if its ac or no ac

I think some people may change the fan to suit their preferences. A mate of mine races speedway and he uses steel blade fans coz the plastic ones break. Both my ute and sedan are carby fed with ac and they are both plastic fans.

my 6cyl xe has air con and a steel fan, what's the go with that?

carby models had steel fans, EFI had plastic. my XF is a 92 model and it had the plastic fan, i switched to the steel fan as the plastic ones are more noisey than steel ones.

XD 6 CYL NON AIRCON                                XW8600B

XD 6 CYL A/C TO 5/80                                 YA145

XD 6 CYL A/C 5/80 - 12/80                           D6DZ8600D

XD 6 CYL A/C FROM 12/80                          YA130

XD/XE V8 5 BLADE METAL                           YA160

XE 6 CYL                                                      YA145

So all i did was confuse myself lol, thats 5 different fans just across xd xe let alone xf which i cant find my catalogue for at the moment

the clutch fan part numbers are even harder, 4 different part numbers accross xd xe not including xe v8 and the dates they apply to dont match up to the dates on the fan blades lol

So after a lot of conversation with my local mechanic and radiator guru they recommended I get a new radiator and new Davies Craig fan hub. The radiator was obviously the overheating issue as I rigged up the fan so it was dragging air through the radiator constantly and it was still running warmer than normal. The timing is in the correct position and the engine is not losing any water anywhere. New radiator goes in tomorrow so fingers crossed she will be running cool enough till my new fan hub gets delivered next week.

All the different shrouds and fans don't make a lot of sense to me, how much difference can they make?

Both my 6cyl carby XE Fairmonts have factory aircon, one of them has a shroud and the other doesn't, they both run at similar temps on the gauge.

The aircon in my main daily one (hasn't ever had a shroud as far as I know, must have had a new rad a long long time ago and the shroud not replaced? :huh: ) has been regassed and works but it's not that effective on really hot days, the other car with shroud on it needs regas so can't tell. Would the aircon perform better with one on? I guess it would cool the condenser better.