Clevo120Y

Clevo head flow results

No worries mate, yeah the bowl work will work wonders and getting the throat out to the 89% range will increase flow as the throat really tappers in quite a lot. Will keep you posted on the heads next week.

yeah anything past .500" on standard heads would be a waste of mechanical effort.  I'm hoping the bowl and seat will make some gains in the high lift and cam's awesome seat cut will get the low to mid lift figures up.  I just want something with good low down grunt and a bit of a lump.  Keeping the stock look is really important to me on this build - that is why I am stoked that roller rockers fit under the stock tappet covers.  I'm still not 100 on the cam but that Lunati profile is right up my alley. 

Stock open chamber 2V's

IN                      EX

050                    30.72                 18.77

100                    60.46                 46

150                    89.86                 71.14

200                   116.8                  89.58

250                   144.57               104.35

300                   167.29               120.14

350                   182.56               130.33

400                   191.22               141.57

450                   199.82               149.04

500                   198.32               154.82

550                   200.49               158.25

600                   201.49               162.6

650                   201.46               163.41

So much of a muchness between OC and CC really.

Um yes - very ordinary.  When I sent my heads down to cam they were as I pulled them off the engine.  Now I see what you were talking about with the bowl and throat.  That is just plain ordinary.  I can see high lift gains already and low lift as well with just a bit of time on the grinder. 

I'm thinking that we may be damn close with that cam selection after the bowl and seat job. 

Thanks for taking the time to test them Sean - knowledge is power.  You are a champ. 

I used to be a member of Fordmuscle.com and it's a paywalled forum/magazine with some excellent projects. They love their Clevos and did a very in-depth study of 2V and 4V port design. I can't access the pics right now but found a few that might benefit folks on hereyna2eby4.jpgthis 2V exhaust is on a smog head, most probably off a 400/351M. Much worse than a pre-smog 2V but note the meat around the short-turn and seat.a9uzuma4.jpg4V exhaust for comparisonavudu6y6.jpg2V inlet

I had some really good pics (from FordMuscle) of silicone port mouldings of both a stock 2V and Edelbrock alloys and the difference was like chalk and cheese. The Edelbrock looked like a 3V but with a stock port face location. The good thing about silicone mouldings is that they show a 3D image of all the problem areas. Both stock 2V and 4V ports have a noticeable pinch where the pushrod goes past, not obvious from the outside but very much so on the moulding.

Look at the gains in the short turn and the reduction in x sectional area where the valve guide comes thru.  Massive gains to be had there safely.

also on the high speed side about 15mm up from the seat.  Need to get these photos to Cam asap.  thanks for sharing guys - awesome stuff.

Top work sharing those flow numbers mate.

How was the air speed on the stock 2vs and at what lift did you find the air flow gets to turbulant.

When you get around to working your magic on the 2vs are you chasing cfm or alot more air speed through the port.

Air speed is king.  you can get cfm at high lift by making a big hole - trouble is the engine will have nothing down low.  Good low lift figures and high lift can be attained - you just have to know your shit - and have a flow bench to test what you are doing. 

Hey (sort of) on the subject... What kind of restriction is the stock iron 2V 4-barrel manifold? I've heard that they're not a bad thing compared to most stock units but want to know what kind of upgrade it would be going aftermarket. My wife just smoked me in a new Aurion V6 and it's really gotten to me.

Cam has flow tested them and says they are shit, hence the recommendation of the performer for my package.

that's all I know mate. I know the 4v one I have here is seriously bloody heavy.

Yeah I've straddled the shock towers with one foot on each trying to lift one off, beats leaning over the engine and stuffing your back! Shall keep an eye out for a Performer or Weiand (supposed to be good).

Look at an Air gap manifold greg. Works really well on a clevo if your not concerned about an after market manifold and I also think bonnet clearance may be an issue dependant on the car its going into. Air gap works like a dual and a single plain manifold